Chapter 1. Library Services Provided by the State. Subchapter 2. California Library Services. General Provisions. Definitions.
(a) The definitions concerning California Library Services Act components set forth in Education Code Section 18710 are hereby incorporated by reference, with additions as noted in subsection (b) of this section. The definitions incorporated by reference are accurate to California Statutes 1979.
(b) Additions to the regulations hereby incorporated are as follows:
(1) ?Chief Executive Officer? means the State Librarian.
(2) ?President? means the elected President of the Board.
(3) ?Public library affiliation? means the formal and legal joining to a System (i.e. the obtaining of full System membership status) by a public library not previously a member of any System. A Public Library Affiliation is not considered complete until all necessary local System and jurisdictional agreements have been approved and are in force, and the State Board has approved the affiliation.
(4) ?Public library consolidation? means the formal and legal joining of the functions, services, operations, etc. of two or more formerly independent public libraries into a single public library, as defined in Education Code Section 18710 (f). A Public Library Consolidation is not considered complete until all necessary local jurisdictional agreements have been approved and are in force, and the State Board has approved the consolidation (see Administrative Code Section 20180, below).
(5) Reference collection. Reference collection means a collection of materials, both print and non-print, designed primarily for use in answering requests for information.
(6) Reference specialist. Reference specialist means a trained and experienced librarian who can provide reference referral services and who can also understand how to approach the community in general and the undeserved in particular, together with appropriate skills in analysis of information needs and design and implementation of reference programs responsive to those needs. A reference specialist may be employed in providing any of the services for which he/she is qualified.
(7) ?Secretary? means the Executive Secretary of the Board.
(8) ?State Board? means the California Library Services Board.
(9) ?System consolidation? means the formal and legal joining of geographic service areas, functions, operations, etc. of two or more formerly separate Systems into a single Cooperative Library System, as defined in Education Code Section 18710 (c). A System Consolidation is not considered complete until all necessary local System consolidation agreements have been approved and are in force, and until the State Board has approved the consolidation (see Administrative Code Section 20185, below).
(10) ?Valid non-resident borrowers card? means a card that is issued free of charge by a public library to a resident of another jurisdiction which maintains a public library, as long as such card meets all of the legal requirements of the issuing library.
(11) ?Vice-President? means the elected Vice-President of the Board.
Education Code 18724
Education Code 18700-18767
(Amended by Register 2013, No. 39.)