Subchapter 19. Charter Schools. Article 3. Facilities For Charter Schools. Procedures and Timelines for the Request for, Reimbursement for, and Provision of, Facilities.
(a) A charter school must be operating in the school district as defined in Education Code section 47614 before it submits a request for facilities. A new or proposed new charter school is operating within the school district and, therefore, eligible to request facilities for a particular fiscal year only if it submitted its charter petition pursuant to Education Code sections 47605, 47605.5, 47605.6, or 47605.8 on or before November 1 of the fiscal year preceding the year for which facilities are requested. A new charter school is entitled to be allocated and/or provided access to facilities only if it receives approval of the petition before March 15 of the fiscal year preceding the year for which facilities are requested.
(b) To receive facilities during a particular fiscal year, a charter school must submit a written facilities request to the school district on or before November 1 of the preceding fiscal year.
(c)(1) The written facilities request consists of:
(A) reasonable projections of in-district and total ADA and in-district and total classroom ADA, based on ADA claimed for apportionment, if any, in the fiscal year prior to the fiscal year in which the facilities request is made, adjusted for expected changes in enrollment in the forthcoming fiscal year;
(B) a description of the methodology for the projections;
(C) if relevant (i.e., when a charter school is not yet open or to the extent an operating charter school projects a substantial increase in in-district ADA), documentation of the number of in-district students meaningfully interested in attending the charter school that is sufficient for the district to determine the reasonableness of the projection, but that need not be verifiable for precise arithmetical accuracy;
(D) the charter school's operational calendar;
(E) information regarding the district school site and/or general geographic area in which the charter school wishes to locate; and
(F) information on the charter school's educational program, if any, that is relevant to assignment of facilities.
(2) Projections of in-district ADA, in-district classroom ADA, and the number of in-district students shall be broken down by grade level and by the school in the school district that the student would otherwise attend.
(3) School districts may require the charter school to submit its facilities request containing the information specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) on a form available from the CDE and developed in consultation with the Advisory Commission on Charter Schools (ACCS) or another form specified by the school district. School districts may also require the charter school either to distribute a reasonable number of copies of the written facilities request for review by other interested parties, such as parents and teachers, or to otherwise make the request available for review.
(d) The school district shall review the charter school's projections of in-district and total ADA and in-district and total classroom ADA and, on or before December 1, express any objections in writing and state the projections the district considers reasonable. If the district does not express objections in writing and state its own projections by the deadline, the charter school's projections are no longer subject to challenge, and the school district shall base its offer of facilities on those projections.
(e) On or before January 2, the charter school shall respond to any objections expressed by the school district and to the district's projections provided pursuant to subdivision (d). The charter school shall reaffirm or modify its previous projections as necessary to respond to the information received from the district pursuant to subdivision (d). If the charter school does not respond by the deadline, the district's projections provided pursuant to subdivision (d) are no longer subject to challenge, and the school district shall base its offer of facilities on those projections.
(f) On or before February 1, the school district shall prepare in writing a preliminary proposal regarding the space to be allocated to the charter school and/or to which the charter school is to be provided access. At a minimum, the preliminary proposal shall include (1) the projections of in-district classroom ADA on which the proposal is based, (2) the specific location or locations of the space, (3) all conditions pertaining to the space, including a draft of any proposed agreement pertaining to the charter school's use of the space, and (4) the projected pro rata share amount and a description of the methodology used to determine that amount. The district shall also provide the charter school a list and description of the comparison group schools used in developing its preliminary proposal, and a description of the differences between the preliminary proposal and the charter school's facilities request as submitted pursuant to subdivision (b).
(g) On or before March 1, the charter school shall respond in writing to the school district's preliminary proposal made pursuant to subdivision (f), expressing any concerns, addressing differences between the preliminary proposal and the charter school's facilities request as submitted pursuant to subdivision (b), and/or making counter proposals.
(h) On or before April 1, having reviewed any concerns and/or counter proposals made by the charter school pursuant to subdivision (g), the school district shall submit in writing a final notification of the space offered to the charter school. The notification shall include a response to the charter school's concerns and/or counter proposals (if any). The notification shall specifically identify:
(1) the teaching station, specialized classroom space, and non-teaching station space offered for the exclusive use of the charter school and the teaching station, specialized classroom space, and non-teaching station space to which the charter is to be provided access on a shared basis with district-operated programs;
(2) for shared space, the arrangements for sharing;
(3) the in-district classroom ADA assumptions for the charter school upon which the allocation is based and, if the assumptions are different than those submitted by the charter school pursuant to subdivision (e), a written explanation of the reasons for the differences;
(4) the specific location or locations of the space;
(5) all conditions pertaining to the space;
(6) the pro rata share amount; and
(7) the payment schedule for the pro rata share amount, which shall take into account the timing of revenues from the state and from local property taxes.
(i) The charter school must notify the school district in writing whether or not it intends to occupy the offered space. This notification must occur by May 1 or 30 days after the school district notification pursuant to subdivision (h), whichever is later. The charter school's notification can be withdrawn or modified before this deadline. After the deadline, if the charter school has notified the school district that it intends to occupy the offered space, the charter school is committed to paying the pro rata share amount as identified. If the charter school does not notify the school district by this deadline that it intends to occupy the offered space, then the space shall remain available for school district programs and the charter school shall not be entitled to use facilities of the school district in the following fiscal year.
(j) The space allocated to the charter school by the school district (or to which the school district provides the charter school access) must be furnished, equipped and available for occupancy by the charter school for a period of at least ten working days prior to the first day of instruction of the charter school. For good cause, the period is subject to reduction by the school district, but to no fewer than seven working days.
(k) The school district and the charter school shall negotiate an agreement regarding use of and payment for the space. The agreement shall contain at a minimum, the information included in the notification provided by the school district to the charter school pursuant to subdivision (h). In addition:
(1) The charter school shall maintain general liability insurance naming the school district as an additional insured to indemnify the school district for damage and losses for which the charter school is liable. The school district shall maintain first party property insurance for the facilities allocated to the charter school.
(2) The charter school shall comply with school district policies regarding the operations and maintenance of the school facility and furnishings and equipment.
(3) A reciprocal hold-harmless/indemnification provision shall be established between the school district and the charter school.
(4) The school district shall be responsible for any modifications necessary to maintain the facility in accordance with Education Code section 47610(d) or 47610.5.
(l) The charter school must report actual ADA to the school district every time that the charter school reports ADA for apportionment purposes. The reports must include in-district and total ADA and in-district and total classroom ADA. The charter school must maintain records documenting the data contained in the reports. These records shall be available on request by the school district.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 47614(b)
Education Code 47605
Education Code 47605.5
Education Code 47605.6
Education Code 47605.8
Education Code 47610
Education Code 47610.5
Education Code 47614
(Amended byRegister 2008, No. 9.)