Subchapter 19. Charter Schools. Article 2. General Provisions. Charter Petitions That Have Not Been Renewed - Submission to County Board of Education.
(a) When the governing board of a school district denies a charter school's petition for renewal, the charter school may submit a petition for renewal to the county board of education not later than 30 calendar days after the district governing board makes its written factual findings. The county board of education and the charter petitioner may extend this date by an additional 30 days only by written mutual agreement. A petition for renewal not submitted to the county board of education within this time shall be considered denied with no further options for administrative appeal.
(b) A petition for renewal, whether submitted to the county board of education as the chartering authority or on appeal from denial of the renewal petition by the local governing board, shall be considered by the county board of education upon receipt of the petition with all of the requirements set forth in this subdivision.
(1) Documentation that the charter school meets at least one of the criteria specified in Education Code section 47607(b).
(2) A copy of the renewal charter petition, as denied by the local board, including a reasonably comprehensive description of how the charter school has met all new charter school requirements enacted into law after the charter was originally granted or last renewed.
(A) The signature requirement set forth in Education Code section 47605(a) is not applicable to a petition for renewal.
(3) When applicable, a copy of the governing board's denial and supporting written factual findings, if available.
(4) A description of any changes to the renewal petition necessary to reflect the county board of education as the chartering entity.
(c)(1) When considering a petition for renewal, the county board of education shall consider the past performance of the school's academics, finances, and operation in evaluating the likelihood of future success, along with future plans for improvement, if any.
(2) The county board of education may deny a petition for renewal of a charter school only if the county board of education makes written factual findings, specific to the particular petition, setting forth specific facts to support one or more of the grounds for denial set forth, as applicable, in Education Code sections 47605(b) and 47605.6(b), or failure to meet one of the criteria set forth in Education Code section 47607(b).
(d) If within 60 days of a county board of education's receipt of a petition for renewal the county board of education does not grant or deny the petition for the renewal of a charter school, the charter school may submit a petition for renewal to the State Board of Education (SBE). The county board of education and charter petitioner may extend this date by an additional 30 days only by written mutual agreement.
(e) If a county board of education denies a petition for renewal of a countywide charter school established under Education Code section 47605.6, the petitioner may not elect to submit the petition for renewal of the countywide charter school to the SBE.
Education Code 47605
Education Code 47607.5
(New by Register 2011, No. 44.)