Subchapter 2. Migrant Education. Article 5. Statewide Parent Advisory Council. Nomination, Election, and Assumption of Office of Eligible Community Members.
(a) After May 1, but prior to August 1 of each year, individual members of the SPAC may nominate eligible community members to the SPAC. Nominations shall occur as follows:
(1) The nominations by SPAC members shall occur via U.S. mail to the CDE.
(2) Each individual member of the SPAC is limited to nominating one person as a community member.
(3) At the time of the nomination, such persons must meet the definition of eligible community member, as set forth in section 12031(b).
(4) The person nominated must affirm, by U.S. Mail, an acceptance of the nomination to become a candidate for membership on the SPAC.
(5) The CDE will verify that each person nominated affirms acceptance. If the CDE cannot verify acceptance, that candidate's name shall be withdrawn from nomination.
(6) The CDE shall record the names of each person placed into nomination.
(7) Prior to August 1 of each year, the CDE shall confirm the eligibility of the candidates for membership on the SPAC. In the event the CDE determines that a candidate is not eligible for nomination and election as a community member of the SPAC, that candidate's name shall be withdrawn from nomination. In such event, by August 10 of each year, the CDE shall inform the candidate and each member of the SPAC in writing regarding the nominee's ineligibility.
(b) At the first SPAC meeting after September 1 of each year, the eligible parent members of the SPAC may elect three community members to the SPAC from the candidates nominated pursuant to subdivision (a). The election of eligible community members shall occur as follows:
(1) The election of community members shall occur at a single SPAC meeting.
(2) The election shall be by secret ballot.
(3) Electoral ballots shall be counted and tallied by a representative from the CDE and two parent members of the SPAC selected by the SPAC.
(4) The CDE representative shall publicly announce the winner of the election at the same meeting in which the election is held.
(c) Community members shall immediately assume membership on the SPAC upon their election.
(d) Upon election of new eligible community members to the SPAC, membership of previous community member(s) not reelected to the SPAC shall immediately terminate.
Education Code 54444.2
Education Code 54441
Education Code 54444.2
(Added by Register 2014, No. 35.)