San Ramon Valley USD | AR 3541.1 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Transportation For School Related Trips
School Buses and Charter Buses
All school sponsored trips or field trips requiring school bus or motor pool services shall coordinate with the Transportation Department and shall use school district buses or district approved charter services.
Transportation by Private Vehicle
The Superintendent or designee may authorize the transportation of students by private vehicle.
Before transporting students on any field trip or activity, all drivers shall register with the district for such purposes by submitting the required volunteer clearance information through the volunteer clearance link on the district's website. All student passengers shall provide permission slips signed by their parents/guardians.
Drivers shall be parents/guardians or other non-student adults (age 25 or older). To be approved a driver shall demonstrate a good driving record and will be required to possess a valid California driver's license or if he/she is a nonresident on active military duty in California, possesses a valid license from his/her state of residence. All drivers must maintain liability insurance of at least $100,000/$300,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage per occurrence.
1. Drivers shall be informed their driving record will be disclosed to the Human Resources Department.
2. Drivers shall be informed that subsequent traffic violations will be reported to the online database unless permission is withdrawn by the driver.
If permission is withdrawn, the driver will not be allowed to volunteer as a driver for future school trips.
3. Drivers with two or more points on their driving record will be prohibited from driving on any school related trip.
4. There must be a minimum of two students transported per private vehicle.
The use of student driven vehicles shall be limited to instructional activities such as "school to career training programs," etc., which occur within the boundaries of the school district. A student who drives his/her own vehicle to such activities shall be prohibited from driving other students.
Owners, drivers, and passengers shall be informed that the registered owner and his/her insurance have primary responsibility for any accidents and or injury which may occur. The driver or any other person shall not smoke or have in his/her immediate possession a lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, e-cigarette, etc. when there is a minor in the vehicle. All drivers shall wear seat belts and shall ensure that all passengers are properly secured in seat belts or child passenger restraint systems in accordance with law.
A child who is under 8 years shall be properly secured in a rear seat in an appropriate child
passenger restraint system meeting federal safety standards, except under any of the following circumstances:
1. The child is four feet nine inches or taller, in which case a safety belt may be used.
2. Use of a child passenger restraint system would be impractical by reason of physical unfitness, medical condition, or size and an appropriate special needs child passenger restraint system is not available.
3. There is no rear seat, the rear seats are side-facing jump seats or rear-facing seats, the child passenger restraint system cannot be installed properly in the rear seat, all rear seats are already occupied by children under 8 years, or medical reason necessitate that the child not ride in the rear seat.
4. The child is otherwise exempted by law.
The number of passengers, including the driver, shall not exceed the capacity for which the vehicle was designed and shall not in any case exceed 9 total (8 passengers and driver).
Trucks and pickups may not transport more persons than can safely sit in the passenger compartment with seat belt restraint.
Note: Also refer to AR 6153 and AR 6145.
Regulation SAN RAMON VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: January 17, 1995 Danville, California
revised: March 17,1998
revised: June 24, 2014
revised: March 22, 2016