Santa Maria-Bonita SD | BP 6153 Instruction
Educational study trips are considered a vital supplement to the adopted educational curriculum. Field trips or excursions may be conducted in connection with courses of instruction or school-related social, educational, cultural, athletic, or school band activities and are intended to expand and enrich the structured educational program offered to students. Field trips are not a mandatory substitute for academic credit and attendance shall not be required. For purposes of this policy, references to field trips include excursions.
(cf. 6143 - Courses of Study)
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Co-curricular Activities)
(cf. 6145.2 - Athletic Competition)
Planning of Field Trips
The Board believes that careful planning can greatly enhance the value and safety of field trips. Principals shall ensure that teachers develop plans which provide for the safety of students and their proper supervision by certificated staff and volunteer parents/guardians on field trips. Other school employees and volunteer parents/guardians assisting with field trip supervision and transportation duties shall be carefully selected by the Principal and/or designee. Official tour guides and/or persons employed and specifically authorized by the field trip location must be utilized to direct the field trip participants through the field trip location. Careful planning and organizing shall be top priorities in order to ensure the safety of participating students and maximize the field trip educational learning experience.
This policy pertains to all field trips involving district students, regardless of whether the field trip is conducted during, before, or after school, as well as during school holidays and weekends.
All field trips involving out-of-state destinations shall be reviewed and approved in advance by the Superintendent and the Board. Submittals of requests for approval of out-of-state field trips should be made as far in advance as possible, and in no case less than three months in advance of the intended date of departure from the district, and shall be submitted and approved before any fund-raising efforts are undertaken or field trip commitments are made.
All field trips involving overnight stays shall be reviewed and approved by the Superintendent and the Board before any fundraising efforts are undertaken or field trip commitments are made.
(cf. 3312.2 - Educational Travel Program Contracts)
Use of Adult Volunteers
Adults who accompany students on field trips shall be either a certificated employee of the district, other district staff, or an adult volunteer selected by the school Principal. While the Principal is vested with the discretion to determine who may serve as an adult volunteer for a field trip, the Principal's decision should take into account the following:
1. The location of the field trip and the activities to be performed;
2. The average age of the students involved;
3. The volunteer's apparent ability to monitor the students;
4. The volunteer's apparent ability to communicate with the students, district personnel, and other adults should there be an emergency.
Adults who accompany students on out-of-state or overnight field trips shall be either a certificated employee of the district or an adult volunteer selected by the school Principal. All adult volunteers who chaperone out-of-state or overnight field trips shall provide a set of fingerprints to the California Department of Justice. The Department of Justice will then furnish a criminal record summary of the volunteer to the district and such summary shall be reviewed by the district prior to the parent/guardian/volunteer being allowed to accompany students on the overnight field trip. district staff shall ascertain whether other adults who will be utilized by other entities providing field trip opportunities to district students have the proper security clearance appropriate to work with district students.
(cf. 1240 - Volunteer Assistance)
Conducting Field Trips
1. Prior to a student going on a field trip, the school or district must obtain written permission from the student's parents/guardians. Parents/guardians will receive notice from the school or district, informing them of the time, place, purpose, and mode of transportation for each field trip.
2. All persons making the field trip shall be deemed to have waived all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip. Chaperones shall sign a statement waiving such claims (See Exhibit E 6153(c))
3. All adults taking out-of-state field trips and all parents or guardians of pupils taking out-of-state field trips shall sign a statement waiving all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip.
4. No field trip shall be authorized if any student would be excluded from participation because of a lack of sufficient funds.
The Superintendent is directed to provide appropriate administrative regulations and guidelines to implement this policy.
8760 Authorization of outdoor science and conservation programs
35330 Excursions and field trips
35331 Provision for medical or hospital service for pupils (on field trips)
35332 Transportation by chartered airline
35350 Transportation of students
44808 Liability when pupils not on school property
48908 Duties of pupils; authority of teachers
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE
17540 Travel promoters
American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org
California Association of Directors of Activities: http://www.cada1.org
U.S. Department of Homeland Security: http://www.dhs.gov
Policy SANTA MARIA-BONITA SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 12, 1986 Santa Maria, California
revised: October 10, 2007
revised: August 27, 2008
revised: January 15, 2014