Santa Maria-Bonita SD | AR 6161.12 Instruction
Supplementary Audio-Visual Materials
The principal or assistant principal is responsible for monitoring any materials that will be used in the classroom for instruction, especially materials that have not been approved by the District, County or State.
Supplementary audio-visual materials must also be consistent with criteria developed for the selection and evaluation of other instructional materials for the subject under consideration. The teacher shall review the criteria with the principal or assistant principal regarding the criteria. The principal or assistant principal and/or the teacher may contact the action team chair or the Coordinator of Library Services for clarification of the criteria for the subject area under consideration.
Teachers shall carefully preview all supplementary audio-visual materials in order to ensure that, in their professional judgment, the materials are:
1. Directly related to the course of study in which they are being used.
2. Appropriate for students' ages and maturity levels.
3. The film needs to be consistent with district criteria for the selection of instructional materials.
4. If the material is rated by the Motion Picture Industry with a rating other than "G" (General Audience), a parental permission slip shall be obtained. Students without a permission slip shall be given an alternative assignment.
5. The teacher shall secure the approval of the principal or assistant principal prior to sending home the parental permission slips.
When using supplementary materials, teachers shall provide appropriate introductory and follow-up activities. In addition, teachers shall ensure that supplementary materials do not supplant the use of basic texts or teaching activities.
All materials must be used within legal copyright limits.
1. Material taped off the air is subject to "Fair Use" guidelines. Our county contract allows taping and retaining certain Public Broadcasting System programs/shows. Check with the Coordinator of Library Services.
Regulation SANTA MARIA-BONITA SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: February 12, 1997 Santa Maria, California