(a) Any person who, for commercial purposes, purchases, sells, manufactures, ships, transports, distributes, or receives, by mail order or in any other manner, an imitation firearm except as permitted by this section shall be liable for a civil fine in an action brought by the city attorney of the city or the district attorney of the county of not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each violation.
(b) The manufacture, purchase, sale, shipping, transport, distribution, or receipt, by mail or in any other manner, of imitation firearms is permitted if the device is manufactured, purchased, sold, shipped, transported, distributed, or received for any of the following purposes:
(1) Solely for export in interstate or foreign commerce.
(2) Solely for lawful use in theatrical productions, including motion picture, television, and stage productions.
(3) For use in a certified or regulated athletic event or competition.
(4) For use in military or civil defense activities.
(5) For public displays authorized by public or private schools.
(c) As used in this section, "imitation firearm" means a replica of a firearm that is so substantially similar in physical properties to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to conclude that the replica is a firearm.
(d) As used in this section, "imitation firearm" does not include any of the following:
(1) A nonfiring collector's replica of an antique firearm that was designed prior to 1898, is historically significant, and is offered for sale in conjunction with a wall plaque or presentation case.
(2) A nonfiring collector's replica of a firearm that was designed after 1898, is historically significant, was issued as a commemorative by a nonprofit organization, and is offered for sale in conjunction with a wall plaque or presentation case.
(3) A device, as defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12001.
(4) An imitation firearm where the coloration of the entire exterior surface of the device is bright orange or bright green, either singly or in combination.
(5) An instrument that expels a projectile, such as a BB or pellet, not exceeding 6mm caliber, through the force of air pressure, gas pressure, or spring action, or a spot marker gun.
(Amended by Stats. 2003, Ch. 246, Sec. 1.)