Santa Maria-Bonita SD | AR 6154 Instruction
Homework is a teacher-planned learning activity which takes place largely outside of a student's regular school hours. As such, homework should reinforce classroom learning, and expand on a student's school experiences.
Homework assignments are to be specific and related to classroom objectives. The amount of homework assigned, its complexity and scope, and even the grading of homework should be related to the needs and abilities of the individual student.
The principal is responsible for the coordination of homework assignments at the school site so that the intent of all regulations for homework is met.
Homework for Elementary Grades
1. Homework assignments should not exceed one half hour at the primary level, and one hour at the intermediate level (4-6).
2. Kindergarten homework assignments should stimulate students to talk often with their parents, and encourage parents to read to their children.
3. Homework assignments in grades 1-3 should promote the development of skills. They should also encourage family participation.
4. In grades 4-6 homework should continue to reinforce skill development and encourage family participation. Assignments should help develop good personal study habits, and may include occasional special projects. Teachers should instruct students on how to develop good study techniques and habits.
5. Homework assignments should not require use of specialized materials at home, such as encyclopedias, unless the school
lends such materials to the students.
Homework for Grades 7-9
1. Students should be expected to spend an average of one and one half hours on homework, four (4) or five (5) days per week.
2. Teachers of academic subjects should provide regular homework activities which promote the development of skills and provide students with the opportunity to grow academically.
3. The teaching staff should coordinate assignments so that students do not receive an overload of homework assignments
one day, and very little the next.
Regulation SANTA MARIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: 11/12/86 Santa Maria, California