Santa Maria-Bonita SD | AR 3515 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Campus security procedures consistent with the goals and objectives of the district's comprehensive safety plan and site-level safety plans shall include strategies and methods to:
1. Secure the campus perimeter and school facilities in order to prevent criminal activity. These strategies shall include an analysis of the building security system, lighting system, and campus fencing. Procedures to ensure unobstructed views and eliminate blind spots caused by doorways and landscaping shall also be considered. In addition, parking lot design may be studied, including methods to discourage through traffic.
2. Secure buildings from outsiders and discourage trespassing. These procedures may include requiring visitor registration, requiring staff and student identification tags, and patrolling places used for congregating and loitering.
3. Discourage vandalism and graffiti. These methods may include plans to immediately cover graffiti as well as campus beautification projects and shall also include students and the community in these projects.
4. Control access to keys and other school inventory.
5. Detect and intervene with school crime. These procedures may include the creation of a school watch program, an anonymous crime reporting system, analysis of school crime incidents, and collaboration and communication with local law enforcement agencies.
All staff shall receive training in building and grounds security procedures. These procedures shall be regularly reviewed and updated in order to reflect changed circumstances and to assess progress in achieving safe school objectives.
All keys used in a school shall be the responsibility of the principal or designee. Keys shall be issued only to those employees who regularly need a key in order to carry out normal activities of their position.
The person issued a key shall be responsible for its safekeeping. If a key is lost, the person responsible shall report the loss to the principal or designee immediately and may be assessed a charge for replacement costs.
Keys shall be used only by authorized employees and shall never be lent to students.
The master key shall not be lent and the duplication of school keys is prohibited.
Regulation SANTA MARIA-BONITA SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 26, 2001 Santa Maria, California