(a) Recreation services include but are not limited to:
(1) Therapeutic recreation services which are those specialized instructional programs designed to assist pupils in becoming as independent as possible in leisure activities, and when possible and appropriate, facilitate the pupil's integration into regular recreation programs.
(2) Recreation programs in schools and the community which are those programs that emphasize the use of leisure activity in the teaching of academic, social, and daily living skills; and, the provision of nonacademic and extracurricular leisure activities and the utilization of community recreation programs and facilities.
(3) Leisure education programs which are those specific programs designed to prepare the pupil for optimum independent participation in appropriate leisure activities, including teaching social skills necessary to engage in leisure activities, and developing awareness of personal and community leisure resources.
(b) Recreation services shall be provided only by personnel who possess:
(1) a certificate issued by the California Board of Recreation and Park Certification; or
(2) a certificate issued by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation; or
(3) the National Recreation and Park Association, authorizing services in recreation or therapeutic recreation.
Education Code 56100
Education Code 56366.1
Education Code 56363
34 C.F.R. 300.34
34 C.F.R. 300.156(b)(1)
(Amended by Register 2014, No. 19.)