Sausalito Marin City SD | AR 1114 Community Relations
School-Sponsored Social Media
Social media means any online platform for collaboration, interaction, and active participation, including, but not limited to, social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, or blogs.
Official school social media platform is a site authorized by the Superintendent or designee. Sites that have not been authorized by the Superintendent or designee but that contain content related to the school or comments on school operations, such as a site created by a parent-teacher organization, booster club, or other school-connected organization or a student's or employee's personal site, are not considered official school social media platforms.
Authorization for Official School Social Media Platforms
The Superintendent or designee shall authorize the development of any official school social media platform. Teachers and coaches shall obtain approval from the principal before creating an official classroom or team social media platform.
Guidelines for Content
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that official school social media platforms provide current information regarding school programs, activities, and operations, consistent with the goals and purposes of this policy and regulation. Official school social media platforms shall contain content that is appropriate for all audiences.
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that copyright laws are not violated in the use of material on official school social media platforms.
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that official school social media platforms are regularly monitored. Staff members responsible for monitoring content may remove posts based on viewpoint-neutral considerations, such as lack of relation to the site's purpose or violation of the school's policy, regulation, or content guidelines.
Each official school social media platform shall prominently display:
1. The purpose of the site along with a statement that users are expected to use the site only for those intended purposes.
2. Information on how to use the security settings of the social media platform.
3. A statement that the site is regularly monitored and that any inappropriate post will be promptly removed. Inappropriate posts include those that:
a. Are obscene, libelous, or so incite students as to create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts on school premises, violation of school rules, or substantial disruption of the school's orderly operation
b. Are not related to the stated purpose of the site, including, but not limited to, comments of a commercial nature, political activity, and comments that constitute discrimination or harassment
4. Protocols for users, including expectations that users will communicate in a respectful, courteous, and professional manner.
5. A statement that users are personally responsible for the content of their posts and that the school is not responsible for the content of external online platforms.
6. A disclaimer that the views and comments expressed on the site are those of the users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the school.
7. A disclaimer that any user's reference to a specific commercial product or service does not imply endorsement or recommendation of that product or service by the school.
8. The individual(s) to contact regarding violation of school guidelines on the use of official school social media platforms
School employees who participate in official school social media platforms shall adhere to all applicable school policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, professional standards related to interactions with students.
When appropriate, employees using official school social media platforms shall identify themselves by name and school title and include a disclaimer stating that the views and opinions expressed in their post are theirs alone and do not necessarily represent those of the school or school.
All staff shall receive information about appropriate use of the official school social media platforms.
Regulation SAUSALITO MARIN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 9, 2014 Sausalito, California