Sausalito Marin City SD | BP 1325 Community Relations
Advertising And Promotion
The Board of Trustees establishes this policy to ensure effective and consistent implementation of its directions related to advertisements and promotions by nonschool groups in school-sponsored publications, web sites, and social media and on school facilities. Student speech shall be regulated in accordance with BP/AR 5145.2 - Freedom of Speech/Expression.
Limited Public Forum
The Board desires to promote positive relationships between school schools and the community in order to enhance community support and involvement in the schools. The Superintendent or designee may approve:
1. Distribution of noncommercial materials that publicize services, special events, public meetings, or other gatherings of interest to students or parents/guardians.
2. Distribution of promotional materials of a commercial nature to students or parents/guardians
3. Paid advertisements on school property, including, but not limited to, advertisements on billboards and scoreboards
4. Paid advertisements in school-sponsored publications, yearbooks, announcements, and other school communications, including web sites and social media
5. Products and materials donated by commercial enterprises for educational use, including those that bear the name and/or logo of the donor, as long as they do not unduly promote the donor or any commercial activity or product
Prior to the distribution, posting, or publishing of any nonschool group's promotional materials or advertisement, the Superintendent, principal, or designee shall review the materials or advertisement based on the criteria listed below. He/she may not disapprove materials or advertisement in an arbitrary or capricious manner or in a way that discriminates against a particular viewpoint on a subject that is otherwise allowed by Board policy.
All materials to be distributed shall bear the name and contact information of the sponsoring entity.
As necessary, the Superintendent, principal, or designee shall require a disclaimer on any nonschool group's promotional materials to be distributed, posted, or published, stating that the distribution, posting, or publishing of the materials does not imply school endorsement of the group's activities, products, or services. School and school-sponsored publications shall include a disclaimer stating that the school does not endorse any advertised products or services.
Criteria for Approval
The Superintendent, principal, or designee shall not accept for distribution any materials or advertisements that:
1. Are lewd, obscene, libelous, or slanderous
2. Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the orderly operation of the schools
3. Promote any particular political interest, candidate, party, or ballot measure, unless the candidates or advocates from all sides are provided the opportunity to present their views to the students during school hours or during events scheduled pursuant to the Civic Center Act
4. Proselytize or position the school on any side of a controversial issue
5. Discriminate against, attack, or denigrate any group on account of any unlawful consideration
6. Promote the use or sale of materials or services that are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives, including, but not limited to, materials or advertisements for tobacco, intoxicants, non-nutritious foods and beverages, and movies or products unsuitable for children
7. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board policy
8. Distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested
The Superintendent or designee also may consider the educational value of the materials or advertisements, the age or maturity of the students in the intended audience, and whether the materials or advertisements support the basic educational mission of the school, directly benefit the students, or are of intrinsic value to the students or their parents/guardians.
Schools may establish additional criteria pertaining to the content of advertisements in school publications and yearbooks, as deemed appropriate by the Superintendent or designee in accordance with law and Board policy.
Policy SAUSALITO MARIN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 18, 2014 Sausalito, California