Sausalito Marin City SD | AR 1330 Community Relations
Use Of School Facilities
Application for Use of Facilities
Any persons applying for the use of any school facility or grounds on behalf of any society, group, or organization shall present written authorization from the group or organization to make the application.
Persons or organizations applying for the use of school facilities or grounds shall submit a statement of information indicating that the organization upholds the state and federal constitutions and does not intend to use school premises to commit unlawful acts.
Civic Center Use
Subject to district policies and regulations, school facilities and grounds shall be available to citizens and community groups as a civic center for the following purposes: (Education Code 32282, 38131)
1. Public, literary, scientific, recreational, educational, or public agency meetings
2. The discussion of matters of general or public interest
3. The conduct of religious services for temporary periods, on a one-time or renewable basis, by any church or religious organization
4. Child care programs to provide supervision and activities for children of preschool and elementary school age
(cf. 5148 - Child Care and Development)
(cf. 5148.2 - Before/After School Programs)
(cf. 5148.3 - Preschool/Early Childhood Education)
5. The administration of examinations for the selection of personnel or the instruction of precinct board members by public agencies
6. Supervised recreational activities including, but not limited to, sports league activities that are arranged for and supervised by entities, including religious organizations or churches, and in which youths may participate regardless of religious belief or denomination
7. A community youth center
(cf. 1020 - Youth Services)
8. Mass care and welfare shelters during disasters or other emergencies affecting the public health and welfare
(cf. 0450 - Comprehensive Safety Plan)
(cf. 3516 - Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness Plan)
9. A ceremony, patriotic celebration, or related educational assembly conducted by a veterans' organization
A veterans' organization means the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, United Spanish War Veterans, Grand Army of the Republic, or other duly recognized organization of honorably discharged soldiers, sailors, or marines of the United States, or any of their territories. (Military and Veterans Code 1800)
10. Other purposes deemed appropriate by the Board of Trustees
The district may grant the use of school facilities on those days on which the public school is closed. (Education Code 37220)
(cf. 6115 - Ceremonies and Observances)
School facilities or grounds shall not be used for any of the following activities:
1. Any use by an individual or group for the commission of any crime or any act prohibited by law
2. Any use which is inconsistent with the use of the school facility for school purposes or which interferes with the regular conduct of school or school work
3. Any use which involves the possession, consumption, or sale of alcoholic beverages or any restricted substances, including tobacco use
(cf. 3513.3 - Tobacco-Free Schools)
The district may exclude certain school facilities from non-school use for safety or security reasons.
Damage and Liability
Groups, organizations, or persons using school facilities or grounds shall be liable for any property damages caused by the activity. The Board may charge the amount necessary to repair the damages and may deny the group further use of school facilities or grounds.
Any group or organization using school facilities or grounds shall be liable for any injuries resulting from its negligence during the use of district facilities or grounds. The group shall bear the cost of insuring against this risk and defending itself against claims arising from this risk. (Education Code 38134)
Groups or organizations shall provide the district with evidence of insurance against claims arising out of the group's own negligence. Groups or organizations shall also be required to include the district as an additional insured on their liability policies for claims arising out of the negligence of the group.
As permitted, the Superintendent or designee may require a hold harmless agreement and indemnification when warranted by the type of activity or the specific facility being used.
Regulation SAUSALITO MARIN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 11, 2010 Sausalito, California