Sausalito Marin City SD | AR 6151 Instruction
Cautionary Notice: As added and amended by SBX3 4 (Ch. 12, Third Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009) and ABX4 2 (Ch. 2, Fourth Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), Education Code 42605 grants district flexibility in "Tier 3" categorical programs. The Sausalito Marin City School District has accepted this flexibility and thus is deemed in compliance with the statutory or regulatory program and funding requirements for these programs for the 2008-2009 through 2012-2013 fiscal years. As a result, the district may temporarily suspend certain provisions of the following policy or regulation that reflect these requirements. For further information, please contact the Superintendent or designee.
Class Size Reduction in Grades K-3
When establishing a program to reduce class size in the primary grades, the program shall be implemented at each school according to the following priorities: (Education Code 52124)
1. If only one grade level is reduced at a school, the grade level shall be grade 1.
2. If only two grade levels are reduced at a school, the grade levels shall be grades 1 and 2.
3. If three grade levels are reduced at a school, then those grade levels shall be kindergarten and grades 1 and 2 or grades 1 through 3. Priority shall be given to the reduction of class sizes in grades 1 and 2 before class sizes of kindergarten or grade 3 are reduced.
4. If four grade levels are reduced at a school, then those grade levels shall be kindergarten through grade 3. First priority shall be given to the reduction of class sizes in grade 1 and 2; second priority shall be given to the reduction of class size in kindergarten and grade 3.
In order to maximize the educational advantages of smaller classes, training shall be provided to teachers providing direct instructional services in classes participating in the district's class size reduction program. This training shall include, but not be limited to, methods for providing each of the following: (Education Code 52127)
1. Individual instruction
2. Effective teaching, including classroom management, in smaller classes
3. Identifying and responding to student needs
4. Opportunities to build on the individual strengths of students
(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)
Regulation SAUSALITO MARIN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 11, 2010 Sausalito, California