Solvang ESD | AR 6145.5 Instruction
Student Organizations And Equal Access
In order to maintain a closed forum at the district school, the Superintendent or designee shall ensure that all school-sponsored student organizations are curriculum-related. In order to qualify as "curriculum-related," a student group shall meet one or more of the following criteria:
1. The subject matter of the group is currently taught or will be taught in a regularly scheduled course.
2. The subject matter of the group concerns the body of courses as a whole (e.g., student government).
3. Participation in the group is required for a particular course.
4. Participation in the group results in academic credit.
Meetings may also be held during the lunch period.
Authorization for Student Groups
Any student wishing to create either a curriculum- or noncurriculum-related student group shall first request authorization from the Superintendent or designee. The group shall provide the Superintendent or designee with the following information:
1. Name of the organization and names of student contacts
2. A statement of the organization's purposes, objectives, and activities
3. A copy of the proposed bylaws of the student group, including a description of how officers will be selected, as well as the bylaws of any off-campus organization with which the group may be affiliated
4. The name of the proposed faculty advisor, if any
5. The proposed dates, times, and location of meetings
6. Any special equipment to be used
7. A description of the qualifications for membership, if any
8. If a curriculum-related group, a statement of the relation of the club to the curriculum and/or instructional program
The principal or designee may establish school rules governing the meetings of curriculum-related groups, such as attendance or grade requirements. Such rules may vary depending on the group, such as whether or not academic credit is given for participation in the group.
Role of Staff Adviser
For any curriculum-related student group, the staff adviser shall provide guidance and teaching to students to ensure that the group's activities are aligned to the district's goals and objectives and shall provide supervision and leadership of the group. The Superintendent or designee shall have final authority in determining the assignment and role of the staff adviser.
For noncurriculum-related student groups, a staff adviser may be assigned voluntarily to observe meetings for purposes of maintaining order and protecting student safety. Staff advisers and other school employees shall not promote, lead, or participate in the meetings. (20 USC 4071, 4072)
A school employee may refuse to attend a meeting of a student group if the content of the speech at the meeting is contrary to the employee's beliefs. (20 USC 4071)
Any student who engages in hazing may be subject to discipline including, but not limited to, suspension or expulsion. Hazing means a method of initiation or pre-initiation into a student organization or body, whether or not the organization or body is officially recognized by the district, which is likely to cause serious bodily injury or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to a former, current, or prospective student. (Education Code 48900)
(cf. 5131 - Conduct)
(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
Regulation SOLVANG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 14, 2017 Solvang, California