Solvang ESD | BP 0100 Philosophy, Goals, Objectives and Comprehensive Plans
As part of its responsibility to establish a guiding vision for the district, the Governing Board shall develop and regularly review a set of fundamental principles which describes the district's beliefs, values or tenets. The Board and district staff shall incorporate this philosophy in all district programs and activities.
(cf. 0000 - Vision)
(cf. 0200 - Goals for the School District)
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
It is the philosophy of the district that:
1. All students can learn and succeed.
2. Every student in the district, regardless of gender, special needs, or social, ethnic, language or economic background has a right to a high-quality education that challenges the student to achieve to his/her fullest potential.
3. The future of our nation and community depends on students possessing the skills to be lifelong learners and effective, contributing members of society.
4. A safe, nurturing environment is necessary for learning.
5. Parents/guardians have a right and an obligation to participate in their child's education.
6. The ability of children to learn is affected by social, health and economic conditions and other factors outside the classroom.
7. Early identification of student learning and behavioral difficulties contribute to student success.
8. Students and staff respond positively to high expectations and recognition for their accomplishments.
9. Continuous school improvement is necessary to meet the needs of students in a changing economy and society.
10. The diversity of the student population and staff enriches the learning experience for all students.
11. A highly skilled and dedicated staff has a direct and powerful influence on students' lives and learning.
12. A high level of communication, trust, respect and teamwork among Board members and the Superintendent contributes to effective decision making.
13. The community provides an essential resource to the educational program.
14. Effective communication with all stakeholders helps build support for the school.
15. Accountability for the district's programs and operations is shared by the entire educational community, with the ultimate accountability resting with the Board as the basic embodiment of representative government.
51002 Local development of programs based on stated philosophy and goals
51019 Definition of philosophy
Maximizing School Board Leadership: Vision, 1996
Policy SOLVANG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: March 14, 2017 Solvang, California