topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Solvang ESD |  AR  4112.22  Personnel

Staff Teaching English Language Learners   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow


English learner means a student who does not speak English or whose native language is not English and who is not currently able to perform ordinary classroom work in English. (Education Code 306)

Instruction for English language development (ELD) means instruction designed specifically for English learners to develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English. (Education Code 44253.2)

Specially designed academic instruction in English (SDAIE) means instruction in a subject area, delivered in English, that is specially designed to meet the needs of English learners. (Education Code 44253.2)

Primary language instruction includes both primary language development designed to develop English learners' listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in their primary language and content instruction delivered in the primary language in any subject area. (Education Code 44253.2)

(cf. 6174 - Education for English Language Learners)

Teacher Qualifications

The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that any teacher with one or more English learners in his/her class possesses an English learner authorization issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) authorizing ELD and/or SDAIE, as appropriate. A teacher possessing a bilingual authorization may be assigned to provide ELD, SDAIE, and/or primary language instruction.

(cf. 1312.4 - Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures)

(cf. 4112.2 - Certification)

(cf. 4112.21 - Interns)

(cf. 4113 - Assignment)

(cf. 4222 - Teacher Aides/Paraprofessionals)

A teacher with a designated subjects teaching credential or a service credential with a special class authorization may enroll in a CTC-approved staff development program and, upon successful completion, may apply to the CTC for a Certificate of Completion of Staff Development authorizing instruction in SDAIE. (Education Code 44253.11)

(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)

The Board of Trustees may, for the purpose of providing primary language instruction, hire bilingual teachers who are employed in public or private schools of a foreign country, state, territory, or possession, provided such teachers speak English fluently and hold the necessary sojourn credential issued by the CTC. After the initial two-year sojourn credential expires, the teacher may annually apply to the CTC for an extension for a total period of not more than five years. Any application for renewal shall include verification by the Superintendent or designee that termination of the employment would adversely affect an existing bilingual program and that attempts to secure the employment of a qualified certificated California teacher have been unsuccessful. (Education Code 44856)

Legal Reference:


306 Definition, English learner

44253.1-44253.11 Certification for bilingual-crosscultural competence

44258.9 County superintendent review of teacher assignments

44259.5 Standards for teachers of all students, including English language learners

44380-44386 Alternative certification

44856 Employment of teachers from foreign countries

52160-52178 Bilingual-Bicultural Act of 1976

62001-62005. 5 Evaluation and sunsetting of programs


80015 Requirements for the CLAD certification or English learner authorization

80015.1-80015.4 Requirements for CLAD, English learner authorization or bilingual authorization

80021 Short-Term Staff Permit

80021.1 Provisional Internship Program

80024.7-80024.8 Emergency CLAD and bilingual permits


6601-6651 Training and recruiting high-quality teachers

6801-7014 Language instruction for English learners and immigrant students


Teresa P. et al v. Berkeley Unified School District et al (1989) 724 F.Supp. 698

Management Resources:


CL-622 Serving English Learners, December 2010

CL-626B Bilingual Authorizations, November 2010

CL-626C Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) Certificate, November 2010

CL-568 The Sojourn Certificated Employee Credential, August 2009



California Association for Bilingual Education:

California Department of Education, English Learners:

California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages:

Commission on Teacher Credentialing:

U.S. Department of Education:


approved: March 14, 2017 Solvang, California