Legal Resources | | T5 4916
Sexual Harassment Definitions
(a) "Sexual harassment" means any unwelcome sexual advance, unwelcome requests for sexual favors, or other unwelcome verbal, visual, or physical conduct of a sexual nature made by someone from or in the educational or work setting, whether it occurs between individuals of the same sex or individuals of opposite sexes, under any of the following conditions:
(1) Submission to the conduct is explicitly or implicitly made a term or a condition of an individual's academic status, employment, or progress.
(2) Submission to, or rejection of, the conduct by the individual is used as the basis of academic or employment decisions affecting the individual.
(3) The conduct has the purpose or effect of having a negative impact upon the individual's academic performance, work, or progress or has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive educational or working environment. The conduct is sufficiently severe, persistent, pervasive or objectively offensive, so as to create a hostile or abusive educational or working environment or to limit the individual's ability to participate in or benefit from an education program or activity.
(4) Submission to, or rejection of, the conduct by the individual is used as the basis for any decision affecting the individual regarding benefits and services, honors, programs, or activities available at or through the local agency.
(b) "Verbal sexual harassment" includes, but is not limited to, unwelcome epithets, comments, or slurs of a sexual nature.
(c) "Physical sexual harassment" includes, but is not limited to, assault, impeding or blocking movement, or any physical interference with work or school activities or movement when directed at an individual on the basis of sex.
(d) "Visual sexual harassment" includes, but is not limited to, derogatory posters, cartoons, drawings, obscene gestures, or computer-generated images of a sexual nature.
(e) "Educational environment" includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) The campus or school grounds of the local agency.
(2) Properties controlled or owned by the local agency.
(3) Off-campus, if such activity is sponsored by the local agency, or is conducted by organizations sponsored by or under the jurisdiction of the local agency.
Education Code 221.1
Education Code 33031
Government Code 11138
Education Code 212.5
Government Code 11135
Title 20, U.S. Code 1681
Title 42, U.S. Code 2000d
Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations 106
(Added by Register 2001, No. 24.)