Active Death Benefits: Survivor Benefits. Eligibility, benefits and computations
(a) A survivor benefit allowance is payable upon receipt of proof of death of a member, as defined in Section 23850, who had one or more years of credited service, including deemed service under subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22851, at least one of which had been earned subsequent to the most recent refund of accumulated retirement contributions.
(b) For the survivor benefit allowance to be payable upon the death of a member, all of the following conditions shall be met at the time of death:
(1) Death occurred after October 15, 1992.
(2) A preretirement election of an option is not in effect.
(3) Death occurs during any one of the following periods:
(A) While in employment for which compensation is paid.
(B) Within four months after termination of service or termination of employment, whichever occurs first.
(C) Within four months after reinstatement from disability retirement.
(D) Within 12 months following the last day for which compensation was paid if the member was on an approved leave of absence without compensation for reasons other than disability.
(E) While on a leave of absence to perform qualified military service, if the death occurred on or after January 1, 2007.
(4) At least one-half year of credited service had been performed subsequent to the end of the last break in service, if a break in service of more than one year had occurred.
(5) At least one year of credited service had been performed subsequent to the last reinstatement date, if reinstated from service retirement.
(c) The survivor benefit allowance shall be paid in lieu of the return of the member's accumulated retirement contributions.
(d) The survivor benefit allowance may be terminated, if all eligible beneficiaries formally waive their rights in accordance with the requirements established by the system.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 864, Sec. 11.)