(a) Information filed with the system by a member, participant, or beneficiary of the plan is confidential and shall be used by the system for the sole purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this part. No official or employee of the system who has access to the individual records of a member, participant, or beneficiary shall divulge any confidential information concerning those records to any person except in the following instances:
(1) To the member, participant, or beneficiary to whom the information relates.
(2) To the authorized representative of the member, participant, or beneficiary.
(3) To the governing board of the member's or participant's current or former employer.
(4) To any department, agency, or political subdivision of this state.
(5) To other individuals as necessary to locate a person to whom a benefit may be payable.
(6) Pursuant to subpoena.
(7) To an agent or a physician authorized by the board in the performance of duties pursuant to Section 24003, 24012, 24103, or 24111.
(8) To a physician or psychologist authorized by the member to receive medical information, if the system determines that the information may be detrimental to the member, as provided under Section 1798.40 of the Civil Code.
(b) Information filed with the system in a beneficiary designation form may be released after the death of the member or participant to those persons who may provide information necessary for the distribution of benefits.
(c) The information is not open to inspection by anyone except the board and its officers and employees of the system, and any person authorized by the Legislature to make inspections.
(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 323, Sec. 4.)
Education Code 24003
Education Code 24012
Education Code 24103
Education Code 24111
Civil Code 1798.40