(a) Each member and beneficiary shall furnish to the board any information affecting his or her status as a member or beneficiary of the Defined Benefit Program as the board requires, which may include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
(1) Financial statements, certified copies of state and federal income tax records, or evidence of financial status.
(2) Employment, legal, or medical documentation.
(b) A member who has not had any creditable service reported during the prior school year shall provide the system with his or her current mailing address and beneficiary information.
(c) For a trust that is designated as an option beneficiary, as defined in Section 22149, the following documentation is required:
(1) The member shall provide an acknowledged certification that includes each declaration prescribed by clause A-6 of Section 1.401(a)(9)-4 of Title 26 of the Code of Federal Regulations and a declaration that the trust meets the requirements and conditions as defined in Section 22149. The certification shall be submitted to the system at the time of election of the beneficiary and is required for the election to be valid. The certification shall be in the form of an acknowledged declaration signed by the member and by all then-acting trustees of the trust.
(2) After the member's death, the then-acting trustee or trustees of the trust shall provide an acknowledged certification that includes each of the declarations prescribed by clause A-6 of Section 1.401(a)(9)-4 of Title 26 of the Code of Federal Regulations and a declaration that the trust meets the requirements and conditions provided in Section 22149. The certification by the trustee or trustees of the trust shall be submitted to the system upon the member's death and shall additionally certify that the trust has not been revoked, modified, or amended in any manner which would cause the representations contained in the certification to be incorrect. The certification shall contain a statement that it is being signed by all of the then-acting trustees of the trust and shall be in the form of an acknowledged declaration signed by all the then-acting trustees.
(3) At any time, upon demand by the system, the member or trustee of the trust shall provide a copy of the trust instrument.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 559, Sec. 3.)