State Teachers' Retirement System; Out-of-state service credit
(a) A member, other than a retired member, may request to purchase out-of-state service credit for any of the following:
(1) Service performed in a position while employed by a public educational institution located in another state or territory of the United States.
(2) Educational service performed as an employee of the United States.
(3) Service performed as an employee of an educational institution located outside of the United States and its territories that receives a portion of its funding from any foreign or domestic public sources and provides a level of education comparable to kindergarten and grades 1 to 12, inclusive, as determined by the applicable law of the jurisdiction in which the educational institution is located.
(4) As an employee of an educational institution that receives funds under Section 2701 of Title 22 of the United States Code.
(b) The member may not receive credit for this service if the member retains or is eligible to receive credit for the same service in the Cash Balance Benefit Program under Part 14 (commencing with Section 26000) or another public retirement system, excluding social security.
(c) The amount of out-of-state service credit a member may purchase may not exceed the number of years of service performed by the member in a position described in subdivision (a).
(d) Out-of-state service credit may be purchased under this section by means of any of the following actions:
(1) Paying an amount equal to the amount refunded from the other public retirement system and receiving service credit under the Defined Benefit Program pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 22823.
(2) Paying the contributions required under the Defined Benefit Program pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 22823 for the service credited in the other public retirement system.
(3) Paying an amount equal to the amount refunded from the other public retirement system and an additional amount in accordance with subdivision (a) of Section 22823 for the service credited in the other public retirement system.
(4) Paying the contributions required under the Defined Benefit Program pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 22823 for the service not credited to a public retirement system.
(e) Compensation for out-of-state service may not be used in determining the highest average annual compensation earnable when calculating final compensation.
(f) The service credit purchased under this section may not be used to meet the eligibility requirements for benefits provided under Sections 24001 and 24101.
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 304, Sec. 10.)
22 USC 2701
Education Code 22823
Education Code 24001
Education Code 24101
Education Code 26000