South San Francisco USD | BB 9271 Board Bylaws
Code Of Ethics
This Code of Ethics expresses the personal ideals which the Governing Board believes should guide each school Board member's activities.
The foregoing is not intended to be all-encompassing, however in all actions as a school Board member, the member's first commitment is to the well-being of our youth. His/her primary responsibility is to every student in the district.
Board members also have other major commitments to:
* The Community. Each Board member is responsible to all residents of the district and not solely to those who elected him/her; nor solely to any organization to which he/she may belong or which may have supported his/her election.
* Individuals. Each Board member has a direct concern for every individual in the community. As an integral part of his/her duties, he/she represents the authority and responsibility of government. This authority must be exercised with as much care and concern for the least influential as for the most influential member of the community.
* Employees. The Board member's actions may affect the capability of district employees to practice their trade or profession and should encourage their increasing competence and professional growth.
* Laws, Policies. Each Board member must be aware of, and comply with, the constitutions of State and Nation, the Education Code of the State of California, other laws pertaining to public education, and the established policies of the district.
* Decision-making. Each Board member is obliged by law to participate in decisions pertaining to education in the district. As an elected representative of the people, the Board member can neither relinquish nor delegate this responsibility to any other individual or group.
* Individual Feelings and Philosophy. Every individual Board member has something to contribute to society.
Understanding and acting upon the foregoing premises, each Board member shall:
* Consider his/her position on the Board as a public trust and not use it for private advantage or personal gain.
* Be constantly aware that he/she has no legal authority except when acting as a member of the Board. Board members shall present their concerns and concepts through the process of Board debate. If in the minority of any decision, they shall abide by and support the majority decision. When in the majority, they shall respect divergent opinions.
* Encourage ideas and opinions from the residents of the district and endeavor to incorporate community views into the deliberations and decisions of the Board.
* Devote sufficient time, thought, and study to proposed actions so as to be able to base decisions upon all available facts and vote in accordance with honest convictions, unswayed by partisan bias of any kind.
* Remember that the basic functions of the Board are to establish the policies by which district schools are administered and to select the Superintendent and staff who will implement those policies.
* Promote and participate actively in a concerted program of timely exchange of information with all district residents, parents, employees and students.
* Recognize that the deliberations of the Board in closed session may be released or discussed in public only with Board approval.
* Make use of opportunities to enlarge his/her potential as a Board member through participation in educational conferences, workshops, and training sessions made available by local, state, and national agencies.
* Upon direction by the code reviewing body, the Board shall review the district's conflict of interest code in even-numbered years. If no change in the code is required, the district shall submit by October 1 a written statement to that effect to the code reviewing body. If a change in the code is necessitated by changed circumstances, the district shall submit an amended code to the code reviewing body. (Government Code 87306.5)
Bylaw SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 18, 2010 South San Francisco, California