Legal Resources | Education Code | EC 15100
Part 10. School Bonds. Chapter 1. Bonds Of School Districts And Community College Districts. Article 1. Purposes for Authorizing Bonds
(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, the governing board of any school district or community college district may, when in its judgment it is advisable, and shall, upon a petition of the majority of the qualified electors residing in the school district or community college district, order an election and submit to the electors of the school district or community college district, as applicable, the question whether the bonds of the school district or community college district shall be issued and sold for the purpose of raising money for the following purposes:
(1) The purchasing of school lots.
(2) The building or purchasing of school buildings.
(3) The making of alterations or additions to the school building or buildings other than as may be necessary for current maintenance, operation, or repairs.
(4) The repairing, restoring, or rebuilding of any school building damaged, injured, or destroyed by fire or other public calamity.
(5) The supplying of school buildings and grounds with furniture, equipment, or necessary apparatus of a permanent nature.
(6) The permanent improvement of the school grounds.
(7) The refunding of any outstanding valid indebtedness of the school district or community college district, evidenced by bonds, or of state school building aid loans.
(8) The carrying out of the projects or purposes authorized in Section 17577.
(9) The purchase of schoolbuses the useful life of which is at least 20 years.
(10) The demolition or razing of any school building with the intent to replace it with another school building, whether in the same location or in any other location.
(b) Any one or more of the purposes enumerated in subdivision (a), except that of refunding any outstanding valid indebtedness of the school district or community college district evidenced by bonds, may, by order of the governing board of the school district or community college district, as applicable, that is entered in its minutes, be united and voted upon as one single proposition.
(c) Before the governing board of a school district or the governing board of a community college district may order an election for purposes of this section, it shall obtain reasonable and informed projections of assessed property valuations that take into consideration projections of assessed property valuations made by the county assessor.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 129, Sec. 1.)