Standard Elementary SD | AR 3543.1 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Hazardous Weather Conditions
In the event of extremely hazardous fog conditions over a major portion of the county, a decision to close all schools in the central portion of the county would be made only upon the recommendation of a committee composed of representatives of the California Highway Patrol, major districts in the central area, and the County Superintendent of Schools. In the event of such a decision, a general announcement will be made recommending the complete closing of school.
In all situations of spotty fog conditions other than the extreme
mentioned above, the following will apply:
1. The decision to close schools in a district or to open them later than the normal time is a local decision to be made by the district administrator with the prior understanding of the Board.
2. Elementary and secondary administrators in a community should coordinate the closing of schools or postponing the time opening.
3. Students and parents should be instructed that school will operate on a regular schedule unless they are notified otherwise. They should be instructed to listen to the radio on those mornings when fog conditions indicate the possibility of school being closed or the opening delayed.
4. The California Highway Patrol has consented to serve as a clearinghouse for messages concerning the closing of school or the delay of the opening. The California Highway Patrol can be notified after 6:00 a.m. and will be in telephone contact by 7:00 a.m. with radio stations KAFY, KBIS, KGEE, KLYD, KMPC, KUZZ and KWSO. In addition to notifying the California Highway Patrol, districts may also wish to notify their local radio stations.
The district bus drivers shall arrive on duty at 7:00 a.m.
1. If there is a question as to the foggy weather, the lead man will report for duty at 6:00 a.m. and will contact the Transportation Supervisor.
2. In the event the weather is hazardous, the Transportation Supervisor will call the Superintendent and the California Highway Patrol.
3. The information as to the delay on bus pickup and the opening of school will then be broadcast over the above radio stations.
Regulation STANDARD SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 29, 1988 Bakersfield, California