Sweetwater Un HSD | AR 5111.13 Students
Residency For Homeless Children
Admittance to District Schools
Homeless students living in the district shall be admitted to district schools upon presentation of any of the following:
1. Hotel or motel receipts
2. A letter from a social service agency or homeless shelter verifying that the student lives within the district
3. An affidavit from the parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) stating that the family lives within the district
When students enroll, the student residency questionnaire must be completed and forwarded to the Homeless Liaison for the district.
A reasonable effort shall be made from secure an address, phone number and medical release from the parent(s)/guardian(s)/ caregiver(s) when a student is placed in a classroom.
1. Pursuant to 42 USC 11432, as amended, placement determinations for homeless students must be made according to the student's "Best interest" as defined by law. Under specified circumstances, homeless students also have the right to continue to attend a district school, even when the homeless family no longer resides within the district.
2. School personnel must immediately enroll students in homeless situations, even if they do not have required documents, such as school records, medical records, proof of residency, or other documents. The term "enroll" is defined as attending classes and participating fully in school activities.
3. Enrolling school must obtain school records from the previous school, and students must be enrolled in school while records are obtained.
4. If a student does not have immunizations or immunization or medical records, the district homeless liaison must immediately assist in obtaining them, and the student must be enrolled in school in the interim.
5. School personnel must maintain records for students who are homeless so they are available quickly.
1980-1986 County community schools
2558.2 Use of revenue limits to determine average daily attendance of homeless children
39807.5 Payment of transportation costs by parents
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 42
11431-11435 McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
Enrolling Students in Homeless Situations, 1999
U.S. Department of Education: Notice of school enrollment guidelines, 67 Fed. Reg. 10698
U.S. Department of Education:http://www.ed.gov
National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty: http://www.nlchp.org
Regulation SWEETWATER UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 17, 2008 Chula Vista, California