topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Sweetwater Un HSD |  BP  5117  Students

Interdistrict Attendance   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

The Board of Trustees recognizes that students who reside in one district may desire to attend school in another district and that such decisions are made for a variety of reasons. The Board further recognizes the need within the district for both the voluntary and involuntary transfer of students. The district further recognizes that such transfers may affect athletic eligibility for grades 9-12.

The Board desires to communicate with parents/guardians and students regarding the educational programs and services that are available in the district.

The Superintendent or designee may approve interdistrict attendance agreements or a reciprocal agreement with other districts and will consider approving such transfers on a case-by-case basis. Approved interdistrict transfers may affect athletic eligibility for grades 9-12.

The interdistrict attendance agreement shall not exceed a term of five years and shall stipulate the terms and conditions under which interdistrict attendance shall be permitted or denied. (Education Code 46600)

The Superintendent or designee may deny applications for interdistrict transfers because of overcrowding within district schools or limited district resources.

Transfer of High School Students to Adult School

The adult schools of the district were established to meet the educational needs of adults in the community who are 18 or older. There may be some students younger than 18 who benefit from a transfer from high school to adult school. To preclude negative impacts on adults school programs, transfers of minor students shall be accepted only on the condition that they maintain satisfactory behavior, progress, and attendance. The following guidelines have been established to ensure a maximum degree of success for those minor students transferring to adult school:

General Guidelines

1. A student must be at least 16 years of age.

2. A student shall demonstrate a maturity level which indicates probable success in adult school

3. A student with sever disciplinary or substances-abuse problems shall not be considered for transfer to adult school.

4. A minor student who moves into the district may not enroll directly into an adult school, but must first be recommended, in the usual procedure, by the high school of residence.

5. A minor student may not transfer to an adult school in the district from a high school outside the district, but should be advised to avail him/herself of similar options which exist in his/her district of residence.

Reasons for Requesting Transfer to Adult School

1. Sixteen and 17 year old

a. Emancipated or self-supporting minor.

b. Married student.

c. Minor who is responsible for his/her child.

d. Verified employment during high-school hours.

2. Additional reasons for 17 years old only

a. Enrollment in a vocational program not available in the high school.

b. Student with poor attendance who would benefit from an adult environment.

c. Deficiency in credits as substantiated by transcript(s).

Procedures for Transfer

1. The high school counselor, with student and parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s), shall explore all options available. Every effort should be made to meet the needs of the applicant through high school alternative programs such as continuation school, vocational school, magnet school, or independent study programs.

2. If alternative programs do not meet the needs of the student, the counselor will assist the student in completing a Request for Transfer from High School to Adult School

a. The reason(s) for requesting a transfer must be explained in detail on the transfer form.

b. When employment is used as a reason for requesting a transfer, job verification is required.

3. The student will take the completed Request for Transfer from High School to Adult School form with all required signatures and a transcript to the adult school counselor.

4. An adult school administrator must approve the transfer.

5. If the adult school administrator does not approve the transfer and if mutual agreement cannot be reached, the Assistant Superintendent for adult and continuation education, after consultation with the area Assistant Superintendent for Student Support Services or his/her designee, will make the final decision.

Revocation of Transfer

1. Parent(s)/guardian(s) may appeal any denial of the request for interdistrict transfer. Such appeal shall be in writing to the San Diego County Board of Education.

2. Before any transfer is revoked, it is the responsibility of the adult school administrator to contact the parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) and the appropriate administrator at the high school.

3. Subsequent placement of the student becomes the responsibility of the high school of origin.

Concurrent Enrollment

Students enrolled in a full program in grades 9-12 may be enrolled concurrently in one or more adult school classes when circumstances warrant. Such circumstances may include, but are not limited to, a need to make up credit deficiencies or satisfy other educational objectives that cannot be met through the high school program.

Enrollment Procedures

The following process must be followed in order to comply with new legislation:

1. Students regularly enrolled in grades 9-12 may be enrolled concurrently in one or more adult school classes when the enrollment is voluntary and will enhance the student's progress toward meeting the educational requirements for graduation from high school.

2. The student shall meet with his/her 9-12 counselor to establish the need for concurrent enrollment. If concurrent enrollment is deemed appropriate, the 9-12 staff must complete the following steps:

a. A parent/guardian must attend a face-to-face conference with the student's 9-12 counselor at the school.

b. The 9-12 counselor will document a counseling session that involves the student, a certificated representative of the high school (counselor), and the student's parent/guardian. The documentation will contain a statement signed by the parent or guardian indicating understanding that the student is voluntarily enrolling in the adult education course or class, and that enrollment in an adult education program, course, or class will enhance the student's progress toward meeting the educational requirements for graduation from high school.

c. During this conference, the 9-12 counselor will explain the circumstances in which a high school student may concurrently enroll in an adult school class and ensure that the data on the Concurrent Enrollment Form is correct.

d. The 9-12 counselor will clearly identify the course(s) and credit(s) and then sign the concurrent enrollment form.

e. The parent/guardian will sign the concurrent enrollment form. Students who are eighteen years of age and still living with parents/guardians may not sign on their own behalf.

f. If it is impossible for the parent/guardian to attend or the parent/guardian is unwilling to do so, the 9-12 counselor must document the date of a telephone conference.

g. If it is impossible to confer with the parent/guardian by telephone, the 9-12 counselor must document the date of a letter sent to the parent/guardian. The letter will contain the required information outlined in 2.a and a Concurrent Enrollment form (Exhibit 1) will be attached.

h. Regardless of the method by which information concerning concurrent enrollment is communicated to the parent/guardian, in all cases, the parent/guardian must sign the form before the student may enroll in the class or classes.

i. The 9-12 counselor will review the application for concurrent enrollment after the parent/guardian's signature is obtained, sign it, and refer the student, with the form, to the appropriate adult school.

3. Upon receipt of the completed form, the adult school staff will complete the following steps:

a. The adult school administrator/counselor will review the concurrent enrollment form and if he/she approves, will authorize concurrent enrollment by signing the adult school approval section of the application and enroll the student in the course(s) indicated on the application.

b. Immediately upon enrollment, copies of the completed application shall be distributed to the 9-12 cum folder, the 9-12 counselor, the parent/guardian, and the adult school teacher(s) of the course(s) in which the student is enrolled.

4. If the adult school administrator/counselor withholds consent and the case cannot be resolved by the administrators of the two (2) schools involved, the case may be referred to the Director of Adult Education, who, in consultation with the Director of Student Support Services, will review the case and make a decision.

5. Adult school progress reports and student withdrawals shall be promptly sent to the student's 9-12 counselor. The 9-12 counselor shall be responsible for fulfilling all provisions of policy and regulations regarding the notification of parents/guardians on progress of the student or his/her withdrawal from adult school classes.

Enrolling Students During Last Six Weeks of a Semester

The following guidelines shall apply to enrolling students in schools of the district during the last six weeks of a semester:

1. Enrollment Last Six Weeks of a Semester, Other Than Last 10 Days with a Transcript

A student who enters a district school during the last six weeks of a semester, other than the last 10 days, and who has a transcript indicating fewer than four "F" grades for the semester shall be enrolled in the district school of residence as of the date he/she makes application to enroll.

2. Enrollment Last 10 Days of a Semester

A student who enters a district school during the last ten days of a semester and who has not been enrolled in a school or has a transcript indicating one or more, but less than four "F" grades for the semester, shall be enrolled for the new semester only and all grades other than "F" counted for credit.

3. Enrollment Last Six Weeks of a Semester, Other Than Last 10 Days Without a Transcript

A student who enters a district school any time during the last six weeks of a semester without a transcript or with a transcript indicating more than four "F" grades shall be processed as follows:

a. The assistant principal of the school of residence shall hold a conference with the student and, where possible, parents/guardians, and make a determination regarding placement in one of the following programs as appropriate to the student's age/grade level:

(1) Independent home study

(2) Long term opportunity class

(3) Learning Center

(4) Palomar High School

(5) Adult School

(6) Summit School (Court School)


b. Gateway and Palomar High School will permit students to enroll near the end of the second semester of school to meet needs of students in implementing this policy.

c. At the end of the semester, the assistant principal shall hold a conference with the student and, if possible, parents/guardians, regarding placement in regular school program or in such alternative program as may be determined to be in the student's best interest.

Legal Reference:


46600-46611 Interdistrict attendance agreements

48204 Residency requirements for school attendance

48300-48315 Student attendance alternatives

48915 Expulsion; particular circumstances

48915.1 Expelled individuals: enrollment in another district

48918 Rules governing expulsion procedures

48980 Notice at beginning of term

52317 ROP, enrollment of students, interdistrict attendance


6250-6270 Public Records Act


84 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 198 (2001)

87 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 132 (2004)


Crawford v. Huntington Beach Union High School District, (2002) 98 Cal.App.4th 1275

Management Resources:


California Department of Education:



adopted: November 17, 2008 Chula Vista, California