Sweetwater Un HSD | AR 5127 Students
Graduation Ceremonies And Activities
The following guidelines shall apply in implementing the policy on graduation ceremonies and promotion exercises:
High School and Adult School
1. Graduation ceremonies/promotion exercises shall be scheduled during the last two days of the second semester of each school year for senior high schools and within two days following the last day of scheduled classes for adult schools.
2. A graduation ceremony shall be provided for high school summer graduates on the last day of summer school.
3. Graduation ceremony locations and schedules are determined by the principals.
4. The principal, not the students, makes the decision who is to hand out the diplomas.
5. To avoid conflicts, the Director of Student Support Services shall coordinate the dates and time of the planned June graduation ceremony for middle/junior and senior high schools, and the administrator in charge of adult education shall coordinate the adult school graduations.
6. No later than February of each school year, the Director of Student Support Services shall prepare and submit to the Board a schedule of graduation exercises indicating suggested times, dates, and locations.
7. The Board shall designate Board members and/or staff who are to participate at each such scheduled exercise.
8. In order for a student to participate in the high school graduation ceremonies, the student must have successfully completed the district prescribed course of study.
9. Adult school summer graduates will participate in the subsequent June ceremonies.
10. Students of the respective graduating classes may wear sashes which represent organizations or instructional programs currently in operation at a school site. These organizations or instructional programs must have school site advisors and be sanctioned by the Associated Student Body (ASB). The site principal shall make the final determination with regard to the appropriateness of and appearance of such sashes.
Middle/Junior High School
1. Promotion exercises should be held at individual middle/junior high school sites, when facilities permit.
2. Each middle/junior high school principal shall plan a ceremony to be held during the last two days of the second semester at a time deemed appropriate.
3. Each principal is responsible for communicating the date and the time of the ceremony to the appropriate elementary and high schools.
4. In order for a student to participate in the middle/junior high school promotion exercises, the student must have successfully completed the district prescribed course of study.
5. In planning promotion exercises, the principal shall be aware of possible conflicts over the use of district provided equipment.
Regulation SWEETWATER UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 17, 2008 Chula Vista, California