Sweetwater Un HSD | AR 3515.4 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Recovery For Property Loss Or Damage
District employees shall report all damage or loss of school property to the principal or designee immediately after such damage or loss is discovered. In those instances in which insurance reimbursement may be involved, the principal or designee shall contact the Risk Management Office.
(cf. 3530 - Risk Management/Insurance)
(cf. 5131.5 - Vandalism, Theft and Graffiti)
The Superintendent or his/her designee shall ensure that a complete investigation is conducted at the site where the vandalism occurred.
The principal or designee shall conduct a complete investigation of any instance of damage or loss of school property. The investigation shall be carried out in cooperation with law enforcement officials when appropriate.
(cf. 3515.3 - District Police/Security Department)
Recovery of Damages
When the person causing the damage or loss has been identified and the costs of repair, replacement or cleanup determined, the Superintendent or his/her designee shall take all practical and reasonable steps to recover these costs, including consulting district's legal counsel if necessary. Reasonable steps may include the filing of a civil complaint in a court of competent jurisdiction to recover damages from the responsible person.
If the responsible person is a minor, recovery may be sought from the minor's custodial parent/guardian in accordance with Education Code 48904.
Damages may include the cost of repair or replacement of the property, the payment of any reward, interest, court costs and all other damages as provided by law.
Payment of Reward
When authorized according to Board policy, a reward shall be paid to the party who provides information sufficient to identify and apprehend the person or persons subsequently found responsible for the damage or loss. If more than one informant provides information, the reward shall be divided among the informants. The Superintendent or his/her designee shall determine who is entitled to what portion of the reward. The identity of the informant shall be considered confidential and shall not be made public by the district.
Guidelines for Offering Rewards
1. The site administrator and the Chief Finance Officer will determine if it is appropriate to offer a reward in light of the damage or vandalism that has been done.
2. The site administrator will obtain an estimate of the cost of repairing the damage and report the amount to the Chief Finance Officer.
3. The site administrator will arrange a posting of the reward to reach the widest audience.
4. The posted notice will indicate that the reward will be paid following the identity and apprehension of the person(s) responsible for the damage.
5. District will seek compensation from parents and legal guardians for the amount of the reward paid to the extent permitted by Education Code Section 48904.
Process for Payment of Reward
1. The site administrator will submit a "Request for Reward" form to the Chief Finance Officer.
2. Upon the approval of the Chief Finance Officer, a requisition for the reward will be generated from the finance department, made payable to a site administrator. It shall be noted on the check that the funds are stipulated for a reward.
3. The site administrator will cash the check and pay the persons receiving the reward.
4. Under no circumstance shall the district release the identity of the person(s) to whom the reward is paid. The responsibility for protecting the identity of the person(s) to whom the reward is paid shall be the responsibility of the district staff involved in the processing of the reward.
Regulation SWEETWATER UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 17, 2008 Chula Vista, California