Sweetwater Un HSD | AR 5125.2 Students
Withholding Grades, Diploma Or Transcripts
Withholding Grades, Diploma or Transcripts
1. When school property has been willfully damaged or not returned upon demand, the principal or designee shall inform the parent (s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) in writing of the responsible student's alleged misconduct and the reparation that may be due.
This notice shall include a statement that the district may withhold grades, diploma or transcripts from the student and the parent (s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) until reparation is made.
2. If reparation is not made, the district shall afford the student his/her due process rights in conformance with Education Code expulsion procedures and may withhold the student's grades, diploma or transcripts.
3. If the student and parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) are unable to pay for the damages or return the property, the principal or designee shall provide a program of voluntary work for the student to do. When this voluntary work is completed, the student's grades, diploma or transcripts shall be released. (Education Code 48904)
4. When a student from whom the district is withholding grades, diploma or transcripts transfers to another district, this information shall be sent to the new district with the student's records and a request that these items continue to be withheld until the new district receives notification that the debt has been cleared.
5. The Superintendent or designee shall notify the parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver(s) in writing that this district's decision to withhold grades, diploma or transcript will be enforced by the new district. (Education Code 48904.3)
6. The district shall withhold grades, diploma or transcripts from any student transferring into the district whose misconduct caused a previous district to withhold them. When informed by the previous district that its decision has been rescinded, the district shall release these documents. (Education Code 48904.3)
48904 Liability of parent
48904.3 Withholding grades, diplomas, or transcripts of pupils causing property damage or injury; transfer of pupils to new school districts; notice to rescind decision to withhold
48911 Suspension by principal, designee or superintendent
49069 Absolute right to access
Regulation SWEETWATER UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 17, 2008 Chula Vista, California