South Whittier SD | BP 3312 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Whenever state law invests the Board of Trustees with the power to enter into contracts on behalf of the district, the Board may, by a majority vote, delegate this power to the Superintendent or designee. To be valid or to constitute an enforceable obligation against the district, all contracts must be approved and/or ratified by the Board. (Education Code 17604)
(cf. 3300 - Expenditures/Expending Authority)
(cf. 3314 - Payment for Goods and Services)
(cf. 3400 - Management of District Assets/Accounts)
All contracts between the district and outside agencies shall conform to standards required by law and shall be prepared under the direction of the Superintendent or designee.
(cf. 2121- Superintendent's Contract)
(cf. 4312.1 - Contracts)
(cf. 9124 - Attorney)
When required by law, contracts and subcontracts made by the district for public works or for goods or services shall contain a nondiscrimination clause prohibiting discrimination by contractors or subcontractors. The nondiscrimination clause shall contain a provision requiring contractors and subcontractors to give written notice of their obligations to labor organizations with which they have a collective bargaining or other agreement. (Government Code 12990)
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
Contracts for Non-Nutritious Foods or Beverages
Before the district or a district school enters into or renews a contract that grants exclusive or nonexclusive advertising or sale of carbonated beverages, non-nutritious beverages or non-nutritious food as defined in law, the Board shall ensure that the district has sufficient internal controls in place to protect the integrity of public funds and to ensure that funds raised as a result of this contract benefit public education. (Education Code 35182.5)
The Superintendent or designee shall develop the district's internal control procedures to protect the integrity of public funds. Such internal controls may include but not be limited to the following:
1. Control procedures that produce accurate and reliable financial statements and, at the same time, safeguard the assets, financial resources and integrity of every employee responsible for handling money or property. Control systems shall be systematically evaluated and revised to keep pace with the changing responsibilities of management.
(cf. 3100 - Budget)
(cf. 3400 - Management of District Assets/Accounts)
(cf. 3460 - Financial Reports and Accountability)
2. Procedures to ensure that district personnel do not handle cash or product at the school site. The contract shall specify that the vendor stock the machines and shall provide cash accounting, along with a check, for district proceeds directly to the control office.
In addition, the contract may specify whether contractor logos are permitted on district facilities, including but not limited to scoreboards and other equipment. If such logos are permitted, the contractor shall present the equipment to the Board as a gift. The gift may be accepted by the Board in accordance with Board policy and administrative regulation.
(cf. 3290 - Gifts, Grants and Bequest)
(cf. 3311 - Bids)
The Board shall not enter into or renew a contract that grants exclusive or nonexclusive advertising or sale of carbonated beverages, non-nutritious beverages or non-nutritious food until parents/guardians, students and members of the public have had an opportunity to comment on the contract at a public hearing held during a regularly scheduled board meeting. The Board shall clearly, and in a manner recognizable to the general public, identify in the agenda the contract to be discussed at the meeting. (Education Code 35182.5)
(cf. 9322 - Agendas/Meeting Materials)
(cf. 9323 - Meeting Conduct)
The Board may satisfy the public hearing requirement by either: (Education Code 35182.5)
1. Reviewing the contract at a public hearing of the Child Nutrition and Physical Activity Advisory Committee established pursuant to Education Code 49433
2. Holding an annual public hearing to review and discuss existing and potential contracts for food and beverage sales on campuses, including food and beverages sold as a full meal, through competitive sales and through vending machines
The public hearing shall include but not be limited to a discussion of the nutritional value of food and beverages sold within the district; the availability of fresh fruit, vegetables and grains in school meals and snacks, including locally grown and organic produce; the amount of fat, sugar and additives in the food and beverages discussed; and barriers to student participation in school breakfast and lunch programs. (Education Code 35182.5)
The contract shall be accessible to the public and may not include a confidentiality clause that would prevent the district or a district school from making any part of the contract public. (Education Code 35182.5)
(cf. 1340 - Access to District Records)
Contracts for Electronic Products or Services
The Board shall not enter into a contract for electronic products or services that requires the dissemination of advertising to students, unless the Board: (Education Code 35182.5)
1. Enters into the contract at a noticed, public hearing of the Board.
(cf. 9320 - Meetings and Notices)
2. Makes a finding that the electronic product or service is or would be an integral component of the education of students.
(cf. 0440 - District Technology Plan)
(cf. 6162.7 - Use of Technology in Instruction)
3. Makes a finding that the district cannot afford to provide the electronic product or service unless it contracts to permit dissemination of advertising to students.
(cf. 1325 - Advertising and Promotion)
4. As part of the district's normal, ongoing communication to parents/guardians, provides written notice that the advertising will be used in the classroom or other learning center.
5. Offers parents/guardians the opportunity to request in writing that their child not be exposed to the program that contains the advertising. Any request shall be honored for the school year in which it is submitted, or longer if specified, but may be withdrawn by the parents/guardians at any time.
14505 Provisions required in contracts for audits
35182.5 Contract prohibitions
45103.5 Contracts for management consulting service related to food service
CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE
685.010 Rate of interest
12990 Nondiscrimination and compliance employment programs
53260 Contract provision re maximum cash settlement
53262 Ratification of contracts with administrative officers
1775 Penalties for violations
PUBLIC CONTRACT CODE
4100-4114 Subletting and subcontracting fair practices
7104 Contracts for excavations; discovery of hazardous waste
7106 Noncollusion affidavit
20111 Contracts over $50,000; contracts for construction; award to lowest responsible bidder
20104.50 Construction Progress Payments
22300 Performance retentions
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 20
Healthy Food Policy Resource Guide, 2003
Policy SOUTH WHITTIER SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: January 11, 2005 Whittier, California