Sylvan Union SD | AR 1325 Community Relations
Advertising And Promotion
Distribution of Materials
Materials generated by non-students may be distributed or posted in District schools only when prior approval has been granted by the superintendent or designee.
Unless generated by the school, surveys or questionnaires requiring student or parent/guardian response also must be first approved by the superintendent or designee. All materials to be distributed shall bear the name and contact location of the sponsoring group.
(cf. 6162.8 - Research)
Materials shall not be distributed to students or advertised in school-sponsored publications if they:
1. Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous. (Education Code 48907)
2. Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the school's orderly operation. (Education Code 48907)
3. Discriminate against, attack or denigrate any group on account of gender, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, or other unlawful consideration; or promote one group over another.
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
4. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board Policy.
(cf. 1321 - Solicitation of Funds from and by Students)
5. Promote the use or sale of materials or services which are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives. Ads for tobacco, intoxicants, and r-rated and x-rated movies or products shall not be used.
6. Announce the meetings of non-curricular student-initiated groups.
(cf. 6000 - Concepts and Roles)
(cf. 6145.5 - Student Organizations and Equal Access)
Before publication, the superintendent or designee shall review all advertising copy to assure that it complies with the provisions of Board Policy and Administrative Regulations.
At their discretion, teachers may use commercial-free instructional television programs and other instructional materials that do not require advertising to be viewed.
(cf. 6161.11 - Supplementary Instructional Materials)
District schools shall not distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested.
Regulation SYLVAN UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 25, 2014 Modesto, California