Union SD | AR 5117 Students
Interdistrict Attendance Agreements
The Superintendent or designee may approve interdistrict attendance applications for the following reasons:
1. When a student has a sibling(s) attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.
2. To allow a student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.
3. To allow students to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary or middle school.
4. When the parents/guardians provide written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the new district.
5. When a student will be living out of the district for one year or less.
6. When recommended by the School Attendance Review Board or by county child welfare, probation, or social services agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the district of residence ("home district").
7. When there is valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the home district.
8. To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment.
9. When parents/guardians are employed in the district.
The Superintendent or designee may deny requests for interdistrict transfers for those students who do not meet attendance, behavior and/or academic standards of the district, as well as if the acceptance would cause adverse financial impact, excessive enrollment or overcrowding of facilities.
Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal interdistrict attendance denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending or during the term of the expulsion.
1. For the transfer to be in effective, approval by both the home district and the requested district is required.
2. Prior to acceptance of an interdistrict transfer request, documentation must be provided to Union School District to support the student's ability to meet district standards for attendance, behavior and academic performance, and the parent and/or guardian of the student must sign and return a transfer agreement with regard to the terms and conditions for the duration of the student's placement in the district.
3. If the interdistrict transfer is granted it will remain in effect only if the student continues to meets the attendance, behavior and academic requirements of the district as well as if continuing does not cause adverse financial impact, excessive enrollment or overcrowding of facilities.
4. Transportation shall be the responsibility of the parents/guardians.
The parents/guardians of any student who is denied interdistrict transfer shall be notified by the Superintendent or designee of the process for appeal.
Regulation UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 14, 2016 San Jose, California