(a) There is hereby established the Year-Round School Grant Program to provide financial assistance to both school districts implementing new multitrack year-round educational programs and school districts that currently operate those programs.
(b) The grant program shall be administered by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The superintendent shall award grants separately under this article for the implementation of multitrack year-round school programs and for year-round operation purposes.
(c) The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall establish criteria for the selection of implementation grant applicants to be funded. The criteria shall include, but not be limited to, all of the following:
(1) Severity of school district overcrowding in excess of state Allocation Board or court mandated pupil loading standards.
(2) The amount of overcrowding that would be alleviated by the implementation of multitrack year-round educational programs, as proposed in the school district's grant application proposal.
(3) The lack of other educationally sound alternatives to multitrack year-round educational programs to reduce overcrowding in the applicant school district.
(d) For the purposes of this section, "multitrack year-round school" means a school that the applicant district demonstrates has satisfied both of the following criteria:
(1) The pupils are divided into three or more groups or tracks that rotate attendance so that for a majority of the schooldays during the school year, at least one group or track is not in attendance at the school while all other groups or tracks are in attendance.
(2) The operation of the school on a multitrack year-round calendar has increased the enrollment capacity of the school.
(Amended by Stats. 1995, Ch. 530, Sec. 15.5.)