(a) Any eligible employee who is participating in a flexible benefits program may elect to receive one or more benefits that qualify to be excluded from gross income in lieu of a portion of his or her salary.
(b) For purposes of this section, an "eligible employee" means any of the following:
(1) An employee excluded from the definition of "state employee" in Section 3513.
(2) A "managerial employee" as defined in Section 3513.
(3) A "confidential employee" as defined in Section 3513 and Section 3562.
(4) A "supervisory employee" as defined in Section 3580.3.
(5) An officer or employee of the State of California in the executive or judicial branch of government who is not a state civil service employee pursuant to Part 2 (commencing with Section 18500) of Division 5 of Title 2.
(6) A "state employee," as defined by Section 3513 or employed by the state as provided for in Article VI of the Constitution.
(c) Any eligible employee participating in the flexible benefits program shall be subject to federal laws and implementing regulations of the Department of Personnel Administration which affects the flexible benefit program throughout the period of the employee's enrollment.
(d) Unless the trustee or the administrator of the state's flexible benefit program is the Controller or another state officer, that program shall be administered in compliance with the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA: 29 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 et seq.).
(e) As a condition of participating in a flexible benefits program, each eligible employee shall provide evidence, in a manner satisfactory to the Department of Personnel Administration, that the employee is covered by a basic health benefits plan, and his or her agreement to remain covered for the period of participation in the flexible benefits plan.
(f) There is in the State Treasury the Flexelect Benefit Fund which, notwithstanding Section 13340, is continuously appropriated without regard to fiscal years to the Department of Personnel Administration for expenditure to implement the flexible benefits program and to pay the related administrative costs. The fund shall consist of the amounts received from state employee compensation excluded from gross income and transmitted to the Flexelect Benefit Fund, income of whatever nature earned on the money in the Flexelect Benefit Fund during any fiscal year and credited to the fund, and amounts appropriated therefor in the annual Budget Act and other statutes.
(g) On or after July 1, 1990, any funds remaining in the State Employees' Dependent Care Assistance and Health Care Assistance Fund shall be transmitted into the account in the Flexelect Benefit Fund for the administrative expenses of the Controller's office to pay the related administrative costs.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 971, Sec. 1.)