Vista USD | BP 7310 Facilities
Naming Of Facility
The Board of Education shall name schools or individual buildings in recognition of:
1. Individuals, living or deceased, who have made outstanding contributions to the county or community
2. Individuals, living or deceased, who have made contributions of state, national or worldwide significance
3. The geographic area in which the school or building is located
4. No school or individual building will be given the name of a commercial development unless the name existed in the area prior to the development.
5. When buildings such as libraries, multipurpose rooms, gymnasiums, or athletic fields are named, the following will apply:
a. The school staff and community, under the direction of the principal, shall select appropriate names from information gathered within the school community and from the Facilities Names Committee. The Facilities Names Committee can serve as advisor to the school.
b. Recommendations for the name of the building or field shall be reviewed by the Facility Names Committee at a regularly scheduled meeting.
c. The Superintendent shall present the school's recommendations to the Board of Education for a final decision.
The Board encourages community participation in the process of selecting names. A citizen advisory committee shall be appointed to review name suggestions and submit recommendations for the Board's consideration.
The renaming of existing schools or major facilities shall occur only under extraordinary circumstances and after thorough study.
Upon request, the Board shall consider naming buildings, parts of buildings or athletic fields in honor of the contributions of students, staff members and community members who have been deceased for at least one year.
(cf. 1220 - Citizen Advisory Committees)
35160 Authority of governing boards
Policy VISTA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: July 28, 2011 Vista, California