Legal Resources | | EC 44253.3
Certificate To Provide Services To Limited English Proficient Students
(a) The commission shall issue an authorization for a teacher to provide all of the following services to limited-English-proficient pupils:
(1) Instruction for English language development in preschool, kindergarten, grades 1 to 12, inclusive, and classes organized primarily for adults, except when the requirement specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) is satisfied by the possession of a children's center instructional permit pursuant to Sections 8363 and 44252.7, a children's center supervision permit pursuant to Section 8363, or a designated subjects teaching credential in adult education pursuant to Section 44260.2. If the requirement specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) is satisfied by the possession of a children's center instructional permit, or a children's center supervision permit, instruction for English language development is limited to the programs authorized by that permit. If the requirement specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) is satisfied by the possession of a designated subjects teaching credential in adult education, instruction for English language development is limited to classes organized primarily for adults.
(2) Specially designed content instruction delivered in English in the subjects and at the levels authorized by the teacher's prerequisite credential or permit used to satisfy the requirement specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b).
(b) The minimum requirements for the authorization, which may be completed at the same time as the initial preparation for the prerequisite credential or at a later date, shall include all of the following:
(1) Possession of a valid California teaching credential, services credential, visiting faculty permit, children's center instructional permit, or children's center supervision permit which credential or permit authorizes the holder to provide instruction to pupils in preschool, kindergarten, any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or classes primarily organized for adults, except for any of the following:
(A) Emergency credentials or permits.
(B) Exchange credentials as specified in Section 44333.
(C) District intern credentials as specified in Section 44325.
(D) Sojourn certificated employee credentials as specified in Section 44856.
(E) Teacher education internship credentials as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 44450) of Chapter 3.
(2) Passage of one or more examinations, or by completing an approved program that consists of coursework or a combination of coursework and examinations, that the commission determines is necessary for demonstrating the knowledge and skills required for effective delivery of the services included in the authorization.
(3) Completion of at least six semester units, or nine quarter units, of coursework in a second language at a regionally accredited institution of postsecondary education. The commission shall establish minimum standards for scholarship in the required coursework. The commission also shall establish alternative ways in which the requirement can be satisfied by language-learning experience that creates an awareness of the challenges of second-language acquisition and development.
(c) Completion of coursework in human relations in accordance with the commission's standards of program quality and effectiveness that includes, at a minimum, instruction in the following:
(1) The nature and content of culture.
(2) Cross-cultural contact and interactions.
(3) Cultural diversity in the United States and California.
(4) Providing instruction responsive to the diversity of the pupil population.
(5) Recognizing and responding to behavior related to the characteristics listed in Section 220.
(6) Techniques for the peaceful resolution of conflict.
(d) The commission shall establish alternative requirements for a teacher to earn the authorization, which shall be awarded as a supplementary authorization pursuant to subdivision (e) of Section 44225.
(e) A teacher who possesses a credential or permit described in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) and is able to present a valid out-of-state credential or certificate that authorizes the instruction of English language learners may qualify for the authorization issued under this section by submitting an application and fee to the commission.
(f) The commission may issue an authorization under this section if the applicant possesses a valid California teaching credential and holds either of the following certificates issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards:
(1) Early and Middle Childhood/English as a New Language Certificate.
(2) Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood/English as a New Language Certificate.
(g) The authorization shall remain valid as long as the prerequisite credential or permit specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) remains valid.
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 316, Sec. 1.)
Education Code 220
Education Code 8363
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44252.7
Education Code 44260.2
Education Code 44325
Education Code 44333
Education Code 44450
Education Code 44856