Waugh ESD | AR 1325 Community Relations
Advertising And Promotion
Public information materials approved by the Superintendent or designee may be disseminated by students on a voluntary basis. Unless generated by the school, surveys or questionnaires requiring student or parent/guardian response also must be first approved by the Superintendent or designee. All informational materials to be distributed shall bear the name and contact location of the sponsoring group.
(cf. 6162.8 - Research)
Materials regarding commercial products or services may be distributed or posted in district schools only when prior approval has been granted by the Superintendent or designee. No unauthorized printed material may be distributed on school grounds. Students shall not be asked to distribute commercial advertising.
District schools shall not distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested.
Materials may not be distributed to students or advertised in school-sponsored publications if they:
1. Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous. (Education Code 48907)
2. Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the school's orderly operation. (Education Code 48907)
3. Discriminate against, attack or denigrate any group on account of sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, handicap, or disadvantage; or promote one group over another.
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
4. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board policy.
(cf. 1321 - Solicitation of Funds From and By Students)
5. Promote the use or sale of materials or services which are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives. Ads for tobacco, intoxicants, and x-rated movies or products shall not be used.
(cf. 6000- Instruction: Concepts and Roles)
6. Announce the meetings of noncurricular student-initiated groups.
(cf. 6145.5 - Student Organizations and Equal Access)
Before publication, the Superintendent or designee shall review all advertising copy to assure that it complies with the provisions of Board policy and administrative regulations.
Regulation WAUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 10, 1992 Petaluma, California