Waugh ESD | AR 4219.25 Personnel
Political Activities Of Employees
District employees shall not:
1. Use district funds, services, supplies or equipment to urge the passage or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate, including any candidate for election to the Governing Board (Education Code 7054)
(cf. 1160 - Political Processes)
2. During working hours and on school property, solicit or receive any political funds or contributions to promote the passage or defeat of a ballot measure that would affect the rate of pay, hours of work, retirement, civil service or other working conditions (Education Code 7056)
3. During working hours and on school property, solicit or receive any political funds or contributions to promote the passage or defeat of other types of ballot measures
4. Use school time to urge the passage or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate
5. Use school equipment for the preparation or reproduction of political campaign materials
(cf. 3512 - Equipment)
6. Post or distribute political campaign materials on school property
7. Disseminate political campaign materials through the district's mail service, e-mail or staff mailboxes
(cf. 4040 - Employee Use of Technology)
8. Use students to write, address or distribute political campaign materials
9. Present viewpoints on particular candidates or ballot measures in the classroom without giving equal time to the presentation of opposing views
(cf. 6144 - Controversial Issues)
10. Wear buttons or articles of clothing that express political opinions on ballot measures or candidates during instructional time
Although employees may not conduct political activities on school property during working hours, they are free to discuss politics and solicit or receive funds or contributions for political purposes outside the employee's working hours, including the lunch period or other scheduled work break during the school day.
Employee organizations may use district mailboxes and other means to communicate with employees, subject to reasonable regulation. (Government Code 3543.1)
Access to district communications channels shall be limited only if such access would be disruptive to district operations.
In the event of a concerted action or work stoppage, political activities by employee organizations and individual employees shall be restricted to peaceful informational picketing and other activities allowed by law.
Recognized employee organizations and their representatives may solicit or receive political funds or contributions from employee members on district property during nonworking time to promote the passage or defeat of any ballot measure. (Education Code 7056)
Regulation WAUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 10, 1998 Petaluma, California