Chapter 7. Conflicts of Interest. Article 1. Conflicts of Interest; General Prohibition. Determining Whether a Material Financial Effect Is Reasonably Foreseeable.
(a) A material financial effect on an economic interest is reasonably foreseeable, within the meaning of Government Code section 87103, if it is substantially likely that one or more of the materiality standards (see Cal. Code Regs., tit. 2, ¬ß¬ß 18704, 18705) applicable to that economic interest will be met as a result of the governmental decision.
(b) In determining whether a governmental decision will have a reasonably foreseeable material financial effect on an economic interest as defined in subdivision (a) above, the following factors should be considered. These factors are not intended to be an exclusive list of the relevant facts that may be considered in determining whether a financial effect is reasonably foreseeable, but are included as general guidelines:
(1) The extent to which the official or the official's source of income has engaged, is engaged, or plans on engaging in business activity in the jurisdiction;
(2) The market share held by the official or the official's source of income in the jurisdiction;
(3) The extent to which the official or the official's source of income has competition for business in the jurisdiction;
(4) The scope of the governmental decision in question; and
(5) The extent to which the occurrence of the material financial effect is contingent upon intervening events, not including future governmental decisions by the official's agency, or any other agency appointed by or subject to the budgetary control of the official's agency.
(c) Possession of a real estate sales or brokerage license, or any other professional license, without regard to the official's business activity or likely business activity, does not in itself make a material financial effect on the official's economic interest reasonably foreseeable.
Government Code 83112
Government Code 87100
Government Code 87102.5
Government Code 87102.6
Government Code 87102.8
Government Code 87103
(Amended by Register 2002, No. 4.)