Leroy F. Greene Facilities Act of 1998; Charter Schools
(a) As a first priority, the existing charter school shall be permitted to continue to use the facility until it is no longer needed by the charter school for charter school purposes.
(b) If the charter school occupying a facility funded pursuant to this article ceases to utilize the facility for a charter school purpose, all of the following apply:
(1) If the charter school is no longer using the facility because the school district in which the charter school is located has revoked or declined to renew the charter, the school district, as a necessary component of the first priority established in subdivision (a), may not immediately occupy the facility, but shall allow a reasonable time, not to exceed six months, for completion of the review process contemplated in Section 47607 or 47607.5.
(2) As a second priority, any qualifying successor charter school shall be permitted to meet its facility needs by occupying the facility on equal terms as the prior charter school occupant, including, but not limited to, assumption of fee simple title to the facility, as described in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 17078.63.
(3) As a third priority, the school district in which the charter school is physically located may notify the authority and take possession and take title to the facility, if the title is not already held by the district, and make the facility available for continued use as a public school facility.
(4) If the school district in which the charter school is physically located elects to take possession of a facility pursuant to paragraph (3), it shall pay the balance of the unpaid local matching share or demonstrate that it is willing and able to continue to make the lease payments in lieu of the local matching share on the same terms. However, the payments shall be reduced or eliminated, as appropriate, if the school district complies with all of the following:
(A) It demonstrates that it would have been eligible for hardship funding under Article 8 (commencing with Section 17075.10) at the time that the application for funding the facility under this article was originally submitted.
(B) It certifies to the board that it will utilize the facilities for public school purposes for a period of at least five years from the date that it occupies the facility.
(5) (A) If the school district declines to take possession pursuant to paragraph (3), or if the facility is subsequently no longer needed for public school purposes, the school district shall dispose of the facilities in a manner otherwise applicable to the disposal of surplus public schoolsites. Any unpaid local matching share shall be paid from the net proceeds, if any, of the disposition and shall be deposited into the respective 2002, 2004, or 2006 Charter School Facilities Account. To the extent that funds remain from the proceeds of the disposition after repayment of the local matching share, any security interest granted to a person or entity pursuant to subparagraph (B) of paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 17078.57 shall be satisfied. Funds remaining from the proceeds after any security interest has been satisfied shall be paid to the school district in which the facility is located to be used for capital improvements in the school district.
(B) If title to the facility is held by a charter school or a local governmental entity other than the school district, and the school district declines to dispose of the facility, the board shall dispose of the facility in accordance with the provisions that would otherwise apply to the disposal of surplus school property by the school district, including, but not limited to, Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 17385) of Part 10.5. The proceeds of the disposition shall be distributed in accordance with subparagraph (A).
(6) If the lease payments in lieu of the local matching share are fully paid, the school district shall continue to hold title to the facility, in trust, for the benefit of the state public school system. The school district shall permit continued use of the facility for charter school purposes as long as the facility is needed for those purposes.
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 192, Sec. 2.)
Education Code 17075.10
Education Code 17078.57
Education Code 17078.63
Education Code 47607
Education Code 47607.5