Legal Resources | | 2655
Chapter 53 - Toxic Substances Control Subchapter Ii - Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response. Worker protection
(a) Prohibition on certain activities Until the local educational agency with authority over a school has submitted a management plan (for the school) which the State Governor has not disapproved as of the end of the period for review and revision of the plan under section 2645 of this title, the local educational agency may not do either of the following in the school:
(1) Perform, or direct an employee to perform, renovations or removal of building materials, except emergency repairs, in the school, unless -
(A) the school is carrying out work under a grant awarded under section 4014 of title 20; or
(B) an inspection that complies with the requirements of regulations promulgated under section 2643 of this title has been carried out in the school and the agency complies with the following sections of title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations:
(i) Paragraphs (g), (h), and (i) of section 763.90 (response actions).
(ii) Appendix D to subpart E of part 763 (transport and disposal of asbestos waste).
(2) Perform, or direct an employee to perform, operations and maintenance activities in the school, unless the agency complies with the following sections of title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations:
(A) Section 763.91 (operations and maintenance), including appendix B to subpart E of part 763.
(B) Paragraph (a)(2) of section 763.92 (training and periodic surveillance).
(b) Employee training and equipment Any school employee who is directed to conduct emergency repairs involving any building material containing asbestos or suspected of containing asbestos, or to conduct operations and maintenance activities, in a school -
(1) shall be provided the proper training to safely conduct such work in order to prevent potential exposure to asbestos; and
(2) shall be provided the proper equipment and allowed to follow work practices that are necessary to safely conduct such work in order to prevent potential exposure to asbestos.
(c) "Emergency repair" defined For purposes of this section, the term "emergency repair" means a repair in a school building that was not planned and was in response to a sudden, unexpected event that threatens either -
(1) the health or safety of building occupants; or
(2) the structural integrity of the building.
(Pub. L. 100-368, Sec. 4(a), July 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 832.)