Legal Resources | | 80048.9.4
Chapter 1. Credentials Issued Under The Teacher Preparation and Licensing Law of 1970 Article 2. Credential Types, Authorizations, and Requirements Special Class Authorization
(a) The minimum requirements for the Special Class Authorization include the following:
(1) A valid preliminary, professional clear, clear, or life Clinical or Rehabilitative Services or Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential in Language, Speech, and Hearing, Special Secondary Credential in Correction of Speech Defects, Exceptional Children Credential in Speech Correction and Lip Reading, Standard Teaching Credential with Minor in Speech and Hearing Handicapped, Standard Restricted Special Education in Speech and Hearing Therapy, and Standard Limited Specialized Preparation-Speech and Hearing Handicapped;
(2) One of the following:
(A) a Commission-approved Special Class Authorization program of professional preparation, based on the Education Specialist Teaching and Other Related Services Credentials Program Standards (rev. 3/11) available on the Commission's website and hereby incorporated by reference, as provided in Education Code Section 44373(c) or;
(B) a professional preparation program in Special Class Authorization or equivalent content, including successful completion of a supervised field work, or the equivalent, taken outside California that is comparable to a program accredited by the Committee on Accreditation. The program must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and approved by the appropriate state agency where the course work was completed;
(3) The basic skills requirement as described in Education Code Section 44252, unless exempt by statute;
(4) For the individual prepared in California, subject-matter knowledge by either one of the following:
(A) passage of examination(s) as provided in Education Code Sections 44280, 44281, and 44282 as appropriate for the multiple subject credential, or for the single subject credential in the areas of art, English, foreign language, mathematics including foundational-level mathematics, music, social science, or science including foundational-level general science and specialized science; or
(B) completion of a subject matter program as provided in Education Code Section 44310 for the single subject credential in the areas of art, English, foreign language, mathematics including foundational-level mathematics, music, social science, or science including foundational-level general science and specialized science; or
(C) holders of a California preliminary, clear, professional clear, or life teaching credential requiring a baccalaureate or higher degree and a program of professional preparation, including student teaching, are exempt from the subject matter knowledge requirement.
(5) For individuals prepared in California, the study of alternative methods of developing English language skills, including the study of reading, as described in Education Code Section 44259(b)(4) and passage of the reading instruction competence assessment as provided in Education Code Section 44283;
(6) The study of English learners as described in Education Code Section 44259.5(c);
(b) An individual who completes the requirements for the Special Class Authorization may apply as listed below:
(1) For a California-prepared teacher, verification from a Commission-approved program sponsor with a Special Class Authorization program; or
(2) the out-of-state prepared candidate may apply directly to the Commission.
(c) Period of Validity. The Special Class Authorization shall remain valid as long as the prerequisite credential required in (a)(1) remains valid.
(d) Authorization. The Special Class Authorization authorizes the holder to conduct Educational Assessments related to student's access to the academic core curriculum and progress towards meeting instructional academic goals, provide instruction, and Special Education Support to teach students with disabilities in which the primary disability is "speech or language impairment" as defined in subsection 300.8(c)(11) of Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart A, as amended on October 30, 2007, to students from birth through age 22 in services across the continuum of program options available found in Section 80048.6(a)(1).
(1) "Educational Assessment": Assessment of students in a comprehensive manner within the authorization of the added authorization using multiple sources of information and a variety of strategies that directly measure a student's performance to meet goals in areas of grade-level academic curriculum and/or functional goals designed to meet the Individualized Education Program (IEP), Individualized Family Service Program (IFSP), and/or Individualized Transition Plan (ITP) goals and objectives regarding eligibility and services that directly result from the student's disability according to state and federal accountability systems. The assessment process may include both formal and informal assessments to evaluate students' educational instruction needs and strengths for the purpose of making accommodations, modifications, and instructional decisions.
(2) "Special Education Support": Support includes participation in the IEP, IFSP, and/or ITP process including planning and implementation of the student's IEP, Individualized Family Service Program, and/or Individualized Transition Plan; providing consultative, collaborative, and coordinating instruction with students, parents, teachers, and other community and school personnel; planning, developing, and implementing instructional program plans relative and within the authorization of the credential or added authorization. Special Education Support does not include providing speech, language and hearing, orientation and mobility, or audiology services.
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44251
Education Code 44252
Education Code 44259
Education Code 44273
Education Code 44280
Education Code 44281
Education Code 44282
Education Code 44283
Education Code 56301
Education Code 56320
Education Code 56322
Education Code 56333
Education Code 56341
34 C.F.R. 300.8(c)(1) and (11)
(Added by Register 2011, No. 25.)