Legal Resources | | EC 52072
Intervention for School Districts
(a) The Superintendent may, with the approval of the state board, identify school districts in need of intervention.
(b) The Superintendent shall only intervene in a school district that meets both of the following criteria:
(1) The school district meets the criteria established pursuant to subdivision (g) of Section 52064.5 for three or more pupil subgroups identified pursuant to Section 52052 or, if the school district has less than three pupil subgroups, all of the school district's pupil subgroups, in three out of four consecutive school years.
(2) The California Collaborative for Educational Excellence has provided advice and assistance to the school district pursuant to Section 52071 and submits either of the following findings to the Superintendent:
(A) That the school district has failed, or is unable, to implement the recommendations of the California Collaborative for Educational Excellence.
(B) That the inadequate performance of the school district, based upon an evaluation rubric adopted pursuant to Section 52064.5, is either so persistent or acute as to require intervention by the Superintendent.
(c) For school districts identified pursuant to subdivision (a), the Superintendent may, with the approval of the state board, do one or more of the following:
(1) Make changes to a local control and accountability plan adopted by the governing board of the school district.
(2) Develop and impose a budget revision, in conjunction with revisions to the local control and accountability plan, that the Superintendent determines would allow the school district to improve the outcomes for all pupil subgroups identified pursuant to Section 52052 in regard to state and local priorities.
(3) Stay or rescind an action, if that action is not required by a local collective bargaining agreement, that would prevent the school district from improving outcomes for all pupil subgroups identified pursuant to Section 52052 in regard to state or local priorities.
(4) Appoint an academic trustee to exercise the powers and authority specified in this section on his or her behalf.
(d) The Superintendent shall notify the county superintendent of schools, the county board of education, the superintendent of the school district, and the governing board of the school district of any action by the state board to direct him or her to exercise any of the powers and authorities specified in this section.
(Amended by Stats. 2018, Ch. 32, Sec. 72.)