Woodside ESD | AR 3554 Business and Noninstructional Operations
Other Food Sales
Nutritional Standards for Foods and Beverages
Food and beverage sales outside the district's food service program shall comply with applicable nutritional standards specified in Education Code 49431, 49431.2, 49431.5, and 49431.7 and 5 CCR 15575-15578.
(cf. 3550 - Food Service/Child Nutrition Program)
(cf. 5030 - Student Wellness)
(cf. 5141.27 - Food Allergies/Special Dietary Needs)
The sale of foods or beverages that do not comply with the standards in Education Code 49431 and 49431.5 may be permitted at the school, as part of a fundraising event, only when the items are sold by students of the school and the sale meets either of the following conditions: (Education Code 49431, 49431.5)
1. It takes place off and away from school premises.
2. It takes place at least one-half hour after the end of the school day.
(cf. 1230 - School-Connected Organizations)
(cf. 1321 - Solicitations of Funds from and by Students)
1. The sale takes place off and away from school premises.
2. The sale takes place on school premises at least one-half hour after the end of the school day.
3. The sale occurs during a school-sponsored student activity after the end of the school day.
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities)
Beverage sales that do not comply with the standards in Education Code 49431.5 may be permitted at the school as part of a school event, if a middle or junior high school, under either of the following circumstances: (Education Code 49431.5)
1. The sale occurs during a school-sponsored event and takes place at the location of the event at least one-half hour after the end of the school day.
2. Vending machines, student stores, and cafeterias are used later than one-half hour after the end of the school day.
Additional Requirements for Schools Participating in the National School Lunch or Breakfast Program
The sale of foods outside of the district's food service program during meal periods in food service areas shall be allowed only if all income from the sale, including the sale of approved foods or drinks from vending machines, accrues to the benefit of the school, the school food service program, or the student organization(s) sponsoring the sale. (7 CFR 210.11, 220.12)
If the school has any of grades K-8 and is participating in the National School Lunch and/or Breakfast Program, the Superintendent or designee shall not permit the sale of foods by a student organization except when all of the following conditions are met: (5 CCR 15500)
1. The student organization shall sell only one food item per sale.
2. The specific nutritious food item is approved by the Superintendent or designee.
3. The sale does not begin until after the close of the regularly scheduled midday food service period.
4. The sale during the regular school day is not of food items prepared on the premises.
5. There are no more than four such sales per year per school.
6. The food sold is a dessert-type food, such as pastry, ice cream, or fruit.
7. The food sold is not one sold in the district's food service program at that school during that school day.
Regulation WOODSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 12, 2013 Woodside, California