Woodside ESD | AR 5141.22 Students
The Superintendent or designee shall immediately report to the local health officer the presence or suspected presence of any communicable disease. (17 CCR 2508)
Universal Precautions in the Classroom
Before students work with blood, blood products, or other body fluids, the teacher shall explain the potentially hazardous nature of blood and body fluids in the transmission of various agents from one person to another and the specific procedures and safety precautions to be used in the lesson.
The following precautions shall be used when students are working with blood or other body fluids:
1. Before and after exposure to blood or other body fluids, students shall wash their hands with soap and water and cover any existing cut, wound, or open sore with a sterile dressing.
2. Students shall wear gloves or other personal protective equipment as appropriate.
(cf. 5142 - Safety)
3. Blood typing or similar experiments may be conducted by teacher demonstrations. When being performed individually, students shall work with their own blood or use prepackaged ABO/Rh blood cell kits that have vials of blood previously tested for transmissible agents.
a. Students shall use individual sterile lancets for finger punctures and shall not reuse them.
b. Before the finger is punctured, it shall be wiped with a piece of cotton that has been immersed in alcohol.
c. If bleeding persists after the finger is punctured, the student shall apply a sterile bandage using moderate pressure.
4. Lancets and any other materials contaminated with blood or body fluids shall be discarded into a solution consisting of one part bleach to 10 parts water (1:10), made fresh daily.
5. At the end of the class, surfaces shall be wiped with alcohol or a solution of one part bleach to 10 parts water.
(cf. 6142.1 - Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention Instruction)
(cf. 6142.8 - Comprehensive Health Education)
(cf. 6142.93 - Science Instruction)
Regulation WOODSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 12, 2013 Woodside, California