Woodside ESD | AR 6153 Instruction
Students on school-sponsored trips are under the jurisdiction of the district and shall be subject to district and school rules and regulations.
(cf. 5131 - Conduct)
(cf. 5131.1 - Bus Conduct)
(cf. 5144 - Discipline)
(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that adequate supervision is provided on all school-sponsored trips and that there is an appropriate ratio of adults to students present on the trip. If the trip involves water activities, this ratio shall be revised as necessary.
Before a student can participate in a school-sponsored trip, the teacher shall obtain parent/guardian permission for the trip. Whenever a trip involves water activities, the parent/guardian shall provide specific permission for his/her child to participate in the water activities. The district shall provide an alternative educational experience for students whose parents/guardians do not wish them to participate in a trip.
All persons making the field trip or excursion shall be deemed to have waived all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip or excursion. All adults taking out-of-state field trips or excursions and all parents/guardians of students taking out-of-state field trips or excursions shall sign a statement waiving such claims. (Education Code 35330)
1. While conducting a trip, the teacher, employee, or agent of the school shall have the school's first aid kit in his/her possession or immediately available. (Education Code 32041)
Whenever trips are conducted in areas known to be infested with poisonous snakes, the first aid kit taken on the trip shall contain medically accepted snakebite remedies. In addition, a teacher, employee, or agent of the school who has completed a first aid course which is certified by the American Red Cross and which emphasizes the treatment of snakebites shall participate in the trip. (Education Code 32043)
2. The district shall provide or make available medical and/or hospital insurance for students injured while participating in any excursion or field trip. (Education Code 35331)
(cf. 3541.1 - Transportation for School-Related Trips)
(cf. 5143 - Insurance)
3. If the Superintendent or designee receives threat level warnings from the Homeland Security Advisory System pertaining to the destination of a school-sponsored trip, he/she shall implement precautions necessary to protect the safety of students and staff.
(cf. 0450 - Comprehensive Safety Plan)
(cf. 3516 - Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness Plan)
4. Lifeguards are required for all swimming activities. If the activity is at a private pool, the owner of the pool shall provide a certificate of insurance, designating the district as an additional insured, for not less than $500,000 in liability coverage. Staff shall determine supervisory responsibilities for all chaperones.
(cf. 3530 - Risk Management/Insurance)
(cf. 5141.7 - Sun Safety)
5. Before trips of more than one day, the principal or designee may hold a meeting for staff, chaperones, parents/guardians, and students to discuss safety and the importance of safety-related rules for the trip.
(cf. 5142 - Safety)
Regulation WOODSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: February 12, 2013 Woodside, California