Part 54Universal Service. Subpart FUniversal Service Support for Schools and Libraries. State telecommunications networks.
(a) Telecommunications services. State telecommunications networks may secure discounts under the universal service support mechanisms on supported telecommunications services (as described in section 54.502(a)) on behalf of eligible schools and libraries (as described in section 54.501) or consortia that include an eligible school or library. Such state telecommunications networks shall pass on such discounts to eligible schools and libraries and shall:
(1) Maintain records listing each eligible school and library and showing the basis for each eligibility determination;
(2) Maintain records demonstrating the discount amount to which each eligible school and library is entitled and the basis for such determination;
(3) Take reasonable steps to ensure that each eligible school or library receives a proportionate share of the shared services;
(4) Request that service providers apply the appropriate discount amounts on the portion of the supported services used by each school or library;
(5) Direct eligible schools and libraries to pay the discounted price; and
(6) Comply with the competitive bid requirements set forth in section 54.503.
(b) Internet access and installation and maintenance of internal connections. State telecommunications networks either may secure discounts on Internet access and installation and maintenance of internal connections in the manner described in paragraph (a) of this section with regard to telecommunications, or shall be eligible, consistent with section 54.502(a), to receive universal service support for providing such services to eligible schools, libraries, and consortia including those entities.
[75 FR 75415, Dec. 3, 2010]